Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Set Up

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8

    Set Up

    I down loaded BitTorrent6 and then (I only wanted an English CD)
    KNOPPIX_V5.1.0DVD-2006-12-30-DE 4.1 GB
    KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-DE 696MB
    KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN 696 MB

    The EN = English???
    I dragged the file KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso to WinMid5Sum. The sum is 379e2f9712834c8cef3efa6912f30755
    I click "Compare and get a message MD5 Checksums are different...
    Does this mean the file is corrupt or have I got the checking process wrong?? I may have missed a step
    Thanks
    John

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    toronto, canada
    Posts
    87
    EN is English, DE is Deutsch (German).

    I use winMd5Sum myself, and it's a pretty simple program; you enter the file name, or browse, and the checksum, copy and paste. Did you go to the knoppix bittorrent tracker?

    http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/

    You click on Get Knoppix above.

    Your check sum does match mine for 5.1.1.

    I would advise that you check again, that the correct file name was selected for winMd5Sum.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8
    Thanks

    I didn't get this step>>

    You have to drag the MD5 file into Notepad, copy and paste the value into the Compare line then push the compare button.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8
    I burned a CD set to non bootable. I restarted, holding down delete > I chose the run from CD option > Windows started normally...????

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Setup
    I burned a CD set to non bootable. I restarted, holding down delete > I chose the run from CD option > Windows started normally...????
    You don't just burn the ISO file to a CD, you need to burn the ISO file as an image. The downloading FAQ gives more detailed information for various burning programs. If you look at the burnt CD under windows and it only has one big file on it, it was not done correctly. Alternately, be sure that he BIOS is set to boot from CD before hard disk.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8
    I burnt it using CDBurnerXP Pro . The files on the CD match the downloaded files (ISO). I checked in bios and the boot order starts with CD.
    It is set to Non Bootable (as in FAQ).
    I'll try again.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8
    Failed again. This is a Compaq with a partition (D drive that holds the software)... Is that relevant??

  8. #8
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Setup
    Failed again. This is a Compaq with a partition (D drive that holds the software)... Is that relevant??
    A D drive with software (even with "recovery" software) isn't an issue. The particular computer may be, but in general Knoppix boots pretty well on HP and Compaq systems. I don't know of any that are problems, but if you gave the model number you might get feedback from someone that can confirm that it works on theirs. Even when Knoppix fails on a system it just about always gets past the boot prompt and then fails in the hardware detection process, so it still seems likely that the CD is burned improperly. I don't have experience with the software you mentioned, so it's hard to guess what my be going wrong, particularly without knowing just what steps that you are taking to burn the ISO. Some quick suggestions:

    1: Try booting the disc on another computer to see that it doesn't boot there either.

    2: Try burning with some software known to work, even if it's just a "30 day free trial" download of Nero.

    3: Tell us exactly what steps that you are taking with your burning software so that perhaps we can spot what is going wrong.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    toronto, canada
    Posts
    87
    I use DeepBurner. The free version for home use only is fine.

    When you said "Failed again" you didn't mention what did appear on your screen. Did you get windows; if not can you describe exactly what did appear?

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8
    The Model is Compaq Presario SR1600AN.

    I Push escape on startup. > select a boot device> Hard drive Group
    CD Rom Group
    Ch2M. TSST Corp CD-R/RW T> Enter...... Boots to Windows...
    The same happens on my laptop A Presario B2000.

    The CD burned at 40X.. I couldn't see where to select a lower speed.
    Doesn't the fact that the Md5 fingerprint matches prove that the file is burned correctly??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical  - USA Seller picture

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller

$29.99



VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL “Powers On” Parts or Repair picture

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL “Powers On” Parts or Repair

$249.95



A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS picture

A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS

$16.95



Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI picture

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI

$44.00



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm picture

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm

$48.95