-
Set Up
I down loaded BitTorrent6 and then (I only wanted an English CD)
KNOPPIX_V5.1.0DVD-2006-12-30-DE 4.1 GB
KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-DE 696MB
KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN 696 MB
The EN = English???
I dragged the file KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso to WinMid5Sum. The sum is 379e2f9712834c8cef3efa6912f30755
I click "Compare and get a message MD5 Checksums are different...
Does this mean the file is corrupt or have I got the checking process wrong?? I may have missed a step
Thanks
John
-
EN is English, DE is Deutsch (German).
I use winMd5Sum myself, and it's a pretty simple program; you enter the file name, or browse, and the checksum, copy and paste. Did you go to the knoppix bittorrent tracker?
http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/
You click on Get Knoppix above.
Your check sum does match mine for 5.1.1.
I would advise that you check again, that the correct file name was selected for winMd5Sum.
-
Thanks
I didn't get this step>>
You have to drag the MD5 file into Notepad, copy and paste the value into the Compare line then push the compare button.
-
I burned a CD set to non bootable. I restarted, holding down delete > I chose the run from CD option > Windows started normally...????
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
Setup
I burned a CD set to non bootable. I restarted, holding down delete > I chose the run from CD option > Windows started normally...????
You don't just burn the ISO file to a CD, you need to burn the ISO file as an image. The downloading FAQ gives more detailed information for various burning programs. If you look at the burnt CD under windows and it only has one big file on it, it was not done correctly. Alternately, be sure that he BIOS is set to boot from CD before hard disk.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
I burnt it using CDBurnerXP Pro . The files on the CD match the downloaded files (ISO). I checked in bios and the boot order starts with CD.
It is set to Non Bootable (as in FAQ).
I'll try again.
-
Failed again. This is a Compaq with a partition (D drive that holds the software)... Is that relevant??
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
Setup
Failed again. This is a Compaq with a partition (D drive that holds the software)... Is that relevant??
A D drive with software (even with "recovery" software) isn't an issue. The particular computer may be, but in general Knoppix boots pretty well on HP and Compaq systems. I don't know of any that are problems, but if you gave the model number you might get feedback from someone that can confirm that it works on theirs. Even when Knoppix fails on a system it just about always gets past the boot prompt and then fails in the hardware detection process, so it still seems likely that the CD is burned improperly. I don't have experience with the software you mentioned, so it's hard to guess what my be going wrong, particularly without knowing just what steps that you are taking to burn the ISO. Some quick suggestions:
1: Try booting the disc on another computer to see that it doesn't boot there either.
2: Try burning with some software known to work, even if it's just a "30 day free trial" download of Nero.
3: Tell us exactly what steps that you are taking with your burning software so that perhaps we can spot what is going wrong.
-
I use DeepBurner. The free version for home use only is fine.
When you said "Failed again" you didn't mention what did appear on your screen. Did you get windows; if not can you describe exactly what did appear?
-
The Model is Compaq Presario SR1600AN.
I Push escape on startup. > select a boot device> Hard drive Group
CD Rom Group
Ch2M. TSST Corp CD-R/RW T> Enter...... Boots to Windows...
The same happens on my laptop A Presario B2000.
The CD burned at 40X.. I couldn't see where to select a lower speed.
Doesn't the fact that the Md5 fingerprint matches prove that the file is burned correctly??
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot
$79.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Micron 1300 MTFDDAK256TDL 256 GB SATA III 2.5 in Solid State Drive
$24.99

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed
$42.00

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00