-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
Setup
Packet recording is not configured correctly
Packet writing is a hack used by some burning software makers to try to allow you to write a little bit of data at a time to a CDR or CD-RW without starting new sessions for each write (sessions take a fair amount of overhead and would not allow you to write to a CDR 200 times, for example, but packet writing does. There are many issues though. Packet writing techniques between different CD software makers vary, so discs burnt by one technique cannot be read on system with software from another. And the CDR or CDRW mist be formatted first. For CDRW this wastes a lot of space (more than a hundred megs) (for CDR this actually wasts less space at format time but more space each packet session). The disc can only be read on a system with a packet driver installed. Packet drivers were notoriously famous for causing conflicts with other software. And key to this discussion, a disc written in any packet driver based format is not bootable. A simple Google search will tell you a lot more, it found the link above and a lot more .
Back in the days when I had a giant 5 1/4 inch 1 gig hard drive on my system and a CD burner, packet driver based writing made sense in spite of it's issues. I could save out data to a CD on a regular basis simply by doing "drag and drop" operations, the CD could be written to many times, and I might get back 10 to 30 megs of precious disk space at a time. Now that I have hundreds of gigs on a system it makes much less sense to use this type of software. I just save what I want to write until I have enough for a session. Or if using CDRW I can read in the old data on the disc, add to it, erase the CDRW and write it again. And if I do want to go back and read one of the discs that I wrote using a packet driver it might be a real pain, since I don't have that brand of burning software installed any more, and it might not even be willing to install if I can find the old install disc, since such software often checks to see that the drive that it came with is installed on the system, and that drive is long dead (and used an ISA interface that will not fit in any computer that I now use!). The moral of the story is that I strongly discourage packet driver writing, and if you do decide to use it you should know what you are getting into.
I asked a while ago for very specific information about how you were burning the disc, never got it. You are wasting your time and ours if you are trying to boot a packet writing based CD. And you are not going to get very far if you are selective about which of our questions you think that you want to answer and which you want to ignore. Why you ignored my suggestion that you try burning with the free 30 day trial of Nero I don't know. But this will be my last post in this thread unless it is to respond to a clear and detailed list of steps taken to burn the ISO file with Nero, starting with confirming the md5 sum and including which menu options were selected or which buttons were pushed each step of the way. I'm not insisting that you use Nero or saying that Nero is the only software that will make a bootable disk. But this reference to packet writing makes me think that you are so off the track that accepting some guidance is the only way that I can assist you in any reasonable time frame. If you want to keep going about it the way that you are, good luck to you.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$41.00

20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5" White Label Hard drive
$349.99

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s
$58.00

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99