Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Drive won't mount and can't read superblock. help!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1

    Drive won't mount and can't read superblock. help!

    Hello! I am VERY new to knoppix and linux in general. I am trying to get data off a corrupt NTFS IDE drive that I had in a Windows XP machine. I cannot mount the drive because I get this error:

    Could not mount device.
    The reported error was:
    mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified


    So I did some searching around the web and found some things to try in the root. this is what I tried, and this is the result I got:

    root@2[knoppix]# fsck /check/hbd1
    fsck 1.39-WIP (09-Apr-2006)
    e2fsck 1.39-WIP (09-Apr-2006)
    fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /check/hbd1

    The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
    filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
    is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>



    No idea what to try now. Like I said, this is the first time Im using Knoppix and Linux in general. I just need the data off this drive. It doesnt show up in Windows, but it does show up in the BIOS.

    Any help would be great. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Unfortunately, while Knoppix can sometimes read partitions even when Windows will not, Windows is also quite capable of destroying it's directory information so much that Knoppix can't read it either. I have 2 hard drive in this state that I can't recover the data from (had 3 but gave up on one). There is still a chance that the partition is fine though, and that what has been mucked up is the partition table that points to the partition. In that case, Knoppix can examine the drive data and try to rebuild the partition table. A good partition table that points to the proper part of the disk for the partition would save your data. This has worked for many users here. read the man page for the command gpart or search the web for more information on gpart for details on this command. Good luck.

Similar Threads

  1. Problem with drive mount / setting read/write
    By jjj in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-08-2006, 01:48 AM
  2. mount ntfs drive as read write
    By dcleghorn in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-02-2006, 10:46 PM
  3. Mount NTFS in read/write-mode
    By walterma in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 07:52 AM
  4. How do you mount and read ntfs partitions?
    By Thaidog in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-11-2004, 02:23 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-10-2003, 03:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM 02CL197 FLASH SYSTEM 840-900 LITHIUM ION SERVER BATTERY MODULE 990854 picture

IBM 02CL197 FLASH SYSTEM 840-900 LITHIUM ION SERVER BATTERY MODULE 990854

$225.00



Lot of 4 IBM 52Y4089 POWER7 CPU Processor Modules Server CPUs picture

Lot of 4 IBM 52Y4089 POWER7 CPU Processor Modules Server CPUs

$49.99



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$54.99