Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: MSI CD-RW drive recognition problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    9

    MSI CD-RW drive recognition problem

    Hello,

    After downloading the image of both 5-20 and 4-15 I have noticed this error with my cd burner. While booting it searches to mount the cd as normal. It fails to find the drive. It says that I don't have the rest of knoppix to boot up and gives me a limited shell of 6 commands.

    Can some one explain this ..... the cd boots fine on my laptop. I have also noticed some drives also hate the cd in general and won't read it at all.

    The drive is a 48x16x48 drive, model StarSpeed (MS-834. It is also known as Dragonwriter.

    Thanks...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Did you boot like this:

    testcd

    You may have a corrupt disc. The fact that it works in another machine isn't proof of anything except that it works in that particular machine. I presume you did in fact check the md5sum before burining the disc yes?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    9
    I didn't think to check the file before burning... I just did from what I burned from and it checked out ok.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    9
    It's funny 2 different versions did this.

    It just doesn't see the cd-rw drive where the disk is at....

    I don't think it can be a corrupt disk. I suppose it's possible

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolSilver
    I didn't think to check the file before burning... I just did from what I burned from and it checked out ok.
    I presume that you are telling me that the .iso checksummed OK?
    Interestingly enough there weren't alot of results from a search on G4L for this drive????

    I have also noticed some drives also hate the cd in general and won't read it at all.
    What exactly makes you say that?

    Changed your media lately? Using cheap media?

    I dunno- can you boot that disc with a differnt cdrom? If so what happens? Is the dragonwriter usable? Does it work with other distros?

    Of couse it won't take 5 minutes to boot w/ testcd to eliminate that as a possibility at least right?

    Anybody else have a drive that fast? Is it possible to slow the drive speed down from the boot prompt?- Just some wild guesses I suppose.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    9
    I was curious today and decided to run a testcd again.... It passed twice after removing a smudge from the disk.


    Like I said ... It throws fits and doesn't read on other drives at all as it just doesn't mount mine.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    What about these questions?

    Changed your media lately? Using cheap media?

    Can you boot that disc with a differnt cdrom in the same machine that has the dragonwriter? If so what happens? Is the dragonwriter usable? Does the dragonwriter work with other distros?

    I have no other guesses- it seems that you have a very uniqure drive.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    9
    I used two types of media on this drive for knoppix as well as two versions. It boots fine on some drives.. others it won't read it to boot and I don't have another machine with this writer.

Similar Threads

  1. auto recognition of USB pen drive after HDD
    By softgun in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-29-2004, 06:12 AM
  2. Easy Zip Drive Recognition
    By Friendly Guy in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-23-2003, 08:53 PM
  3. CD-ROM recognition problem
    By Ritchie in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:07 AM
  4. AsRock K7VT2 usb problem(no recognition of devices)
    By M_Hillebrand in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-26-2003, 02:03 PM
  5. External drive recognition probs
    By [email protected] in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-20-2003, 01:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays

$599.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1... picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...

$324.99