Did you boot like this:
testcd
You may have a corrupt disc. The fact that it works in another machine isn't proof of anything except that it works in that particular machine. I presume you did in fact check the md5sum before burining the disc yes?
Hello,![]()
After downloading the image of both 5-20 and 4-15 I have noticed this error with my cd burner. While booting it searches to mount the cd as normal. It fails to find the drive. It says that I don't have the rest of knoppix to boot up and gives me a limited shell of 6 commands.
Can some one explain this ..... the cd boots fine on my laptop. I have also noticed some drives also hate the cd in general and won't read it at all.
The drive is a 48x16x48 drive, model StarSpeed (MS-834
. It is also known as Dragonwriter.
Thanks...
Did you boot like this:
testcd
You may have a corrupt disc. The fact that it works in another machine isn't proof of anything except that it works in that particular machine. I presume you did in fact check the md5sum before burining the disc yes?
I didn't think to check the file before burning... I just did from what I burned from and it checked out ok.
It's funny 2 different versions did this.
It just doesn't see the cd-rw drive where the disk is at....
I don't think it can be a corrupt disk. I suppose it's possible
I presume that you are telling me that the .iso checksummed OK?Originally Posted by CoolSilver
Interestingly enough there weren't alot of results from a search on G4L for this drive????
What exactly makes you say that?I have also noticed some drives also hate the cd in general and won't read it at all.
Changed your media lately? Using cheap media?
I dunno- can you boot that disc with a differnt cdrom? If so what happens? Is the dragonwriter usable? Does it work with other distros?
Of couse it won't take 5 minutes to boot w/ testcd to eliminate that as a possibility at least right?
Anybody else have a drive that fast? Is it possible to slow the drive speed down from the boot prompt?- Just some wild guesses I suppose.![]()
I was curious today and decided to run a testcd again.... It passed twice after removing a smudge from the disk.
Like I said ... It throws fits and doesn't read on other drives at all as it just doesn't mount mine.
What about these questions?
Changed your media lately? Using cheap media?
Can you boot that disc with a differnt cdrom in the same machine that has the dragonwriter? If so what happens? Is the dragonwriter usable? Does the dragonwriter work with other distros?
I have no other guesses- it seems that you have a very uniqure drive.
I used two types of media on this drive for knoppix as well as two versions. It boots fine on some drives.. others it won't read it to boot and I don't have another machine with this writer.

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99
NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99
Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98
5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64
Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00
5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99
NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless
$25.99