-
How to Set the Hostname to KNOPPIX-MAC Address (SOLVED)
Brief background - I am remastering a KNOPPIX 5.1.1 CD for Disaster recovery. We have 200 users, and in the event of a hurricane, I want to be able to grab our old bareboned PC's out of storage, set them up in a temporary office, pop in the KNOPPIX CD and have them automaticall boot up, grab an IP, and connect via Ctrix client to out storage center.
KNOPPIX is able to do all of that. It's a wonderful product, although I admit it took this Windows guy a bit of getting used to).
Problem - When I boot two PC's with my remastered KNOPPIX CD, everything works beatufully. Except one thing. Both PC's show the same hostname in the DNS server. Both are named KNOPPIX. I need these PC's to have unigue names. My initial thought is to append the MAC address to the hostname KNOPPIX. For example KNOPPIX-00B2C56488. But I can't figure out how to edit the KNOPPIX image accordingly.
I can find the hostname file that contains only the text KNOPPIX, and the hostname.sh that seems to call teh hostname file to gain the hostname. I just can't fingure out how to make it pull the MAC address and append it to the hostname KNOPPIX.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! And please remeber, I'm a beginner...and this is my first time playing with any Linux based OS.
Thank you,
Brandon
Similar Threads
-
By bvsantos in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-22-2007, 05:18 PM
-
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-01-2006, 08:12 PM
-
By Terry Kemmerer in forum Networking
Replies: 6
Last Post: 02-21-2006, 07:19 AM
-
By kclawson in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-03-2003, 02:18 AM
-
By StuartP in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-03-2003, 11:58 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Qx2 4-Bay RAID Enclosure + SATA 1394 -USB 2.0 (8TB)
$180.00

Glyph StudioRAID 28TB External RAID Hard Drive Thunderbolt 2 USB 3.0 7200RPM
$300.00

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00