-
Junior Member
registered user
mixed results
Hi,
I've tried low level format, but it crashed at some point using MicroScope utilities. I then tried fdisk to set primary and format c: booting from a recovery diskette. I got following dubious message:
Formatting 6,149.85M
Trying to recover allocationunit 1,564,562
Not ready
Format terminated
So I ran extensive test of the hard drive. MicroScope gives interesting parameters:
Win9x-32 partition type
status bootable
starting head 1
starting sector 1
starting cyl. 0
ending head 254
ending sector 63
ending cylinder 783
start abs sec 63
number of sectors 12594897
boot signature 55AA
Also, there are two types of params BIOS and LBA which are off by 1 (BIOS counts 785 cylinders, LBA counts 784 cylinders). I duno whether 783 cylinders is better than 784 or 785? Running fixed disk LBA read/write test I found
drive 0 cylinder 780
head 181 sector 31
pass 0 error code 10
"uncorrectable crc/ecc errror"
and the error log was full of msgs of this type on cylinder 780. I gather that the drive is defective from cylinder 780. There are options available to map the drive to skip the bad section, but I think it's better to abandon the drive at this point than pull out hairs when it goes belly up later.
At this point, I went ahead with hd install to test the behavior of Knoppix on a defective drive with mixed results.
Booted from CD-ROM an from root shell I did
mkswap /dev/hda1 and swapon -a to activate. It did use the whole drive at this point. Using cfsk I've created two partitions /dev/hda1 as swap and remainder /dev/hda2 as reiserfs. I think it would be advisable to place a limit on the /root partition as a precaution, and either add another extended /dev/hda4 or add /var for print-spooler and email-spooler. Launching the script knx-hdinstall asked me again to do this part. Then approx 40% into copying files, I've got an i/o error from which the script recovered. Upon completion, I've selected to use LILO in the MBR, but this did not seem to work. I think it's due to user error, the partitions are not kosher. Here's the output from /etc/fstab:
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda2 / reiserfs defaults 0 1
/dev/hda1 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
# partitions found by Knoppix
#/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
That extra #/dev/hda1 is confusing.
Also, here's the /etc/lilo.conf file:
vga=791
lba32
root=/dev/hda2
install=/boot/boot-menu.b
map=/boot/map
delay=20
append="hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi
apm=power-off nomce"
default=Linux
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20=xfs
label=Linux
initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
read-only
image=/vmlinuz.old
label=LinuxOLD
read-only
optional
I've created a boot disk during hd install and can only boot from the floppy. The MBR needs to be ammended. All sugestions will be sincerely appreciated.
Reagards,
Joseph Schiller
Similar Threads
-
By art in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-26-2004, 05:01 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo Yoga 11e Gen 5 2-in-1 Touchscreen 11" HD Laptop 4GB 128GB SSD Windows 11
$99.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$261.99

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...
$679.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11
$229.99