Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: I need to include a script in the startup!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Posts
    9

    I need to include a script in the startup!

    For reasons mentioned in another topic:
    http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.p...886de5994fd572

    I need to write a shell script. The script needs to simply perform the following command:

    sudo ifdown eth0 && sudo ifup eth0

    Can someone help me? I need to know how to write this script and where to place it to have it automatically run when the KNOPPIX OS is loaded on a remastered CD. I'm new to Linux, but it looks like I can create a new text file, name it SudoTest.sh and simply put the above text followed by 'exit' and it will work. So if I'm correct, all I need to know is where I need to place this SudoTest.sh file in order to have it auto-run at bootup. If I'm reading the remastering instructions properly, this script needs to be placed in the /mnt/hda5/knx/source/KNOPPIX/etc/rc5.d directory. Can someone confirm? Is it really that simple?

    Thank you,

    Brandon

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Posts
    9
    I ended up simply adding the sudo commands to the knoppix.sh script to resolve my issue.

    However, if anyone knows where/how to insert a new shell script during remastering, I am still curious to know!

    Thank you,

    Brandon

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    16
    you were on the right track, but didn't quite understand how the rc?.d directories work - they are an old unix way of doing startup.
    Knoppix is mostly setup by the knoppix-autoconfig, and not much is needed in the other runlevels like 5.

    What you would want to do is place your SudoTest.sh script in /etc/init.d, then create a symlink in /etc/rc5.d of the form:
    S##SudoTest where the ## is replaced by a two digit number that represents when in the startup sequence the script should run.
    Make sure your script is executable ( chmod +x /etc/init.d/SudoTest.sh ),

    There isn't much there on a stock knoppix as far as I recall (I'm working from a heavily changed version now, and don't have the original handy),
    so you could safely use S50SudoTest. If there are other scripts, just make sure yours happens after the network is brought up the first time...

    (prepend your source tree to the dirs above if not working in the chroot environment - /mnt/hda5/knx/source/KNOPPIX/ it looks like ...)

Similar Threads

  1. how do I run a script on startup
    By monkeyking in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 10:19 PM
  2. Help with shell script + startup
    By niXnoob in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-06-2004, 04:56 AM
  3. Need help with startup script.
    By obsoleto in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 05:43 AM
  4. Startup script and noscsi
    By darthczyz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 06:06 PM
  5. Startup Script doesn't run
    By orcslayer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2004, 02:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DataArm RBX Ergonomic Computer Arm Supports Desk Mount Pair Wrist Rests picture

Vintage DataArm RBX Ergonomic Computer Arm Supports Desk Mount Pair Wrist Rests

$99.99



Compaq Presario 1640 Laptop HP 2940A Vintage Computer, Power Supply and mouse picture

Compaq Presario 1640 Laptop HP 2940A Vintage Computer, Power Supply and mouse

$159.95



Vintage HP-85A Series 80 Computer Hewlett Packard Working Powers On + Case RAM picture

Vintage HP-85A Series 80 Computer Hewlett Packard Working Powers On + Case RAM

$275.00



Vintage Ampex Chip Boards Memory Processor  Other picture

Vintage Ampex Chip Boards Memory Processor Other

$299.99



Vintage Compaq 2930A Handheld Computer PC Software Accessories Voyager VGA picture

Vintage Compaq 2930A Handheld Computer PC Software Accessories Voyager VGA

$199.95



Vintage Apple Support Card Lot of 15 Classic Macintosh Computer Apple Logo Cards picture

Vintage Apple Support Card Lot of 15 Classic Macintosh Computer Apple Logo Cards

$34.99



Apple IIe Vintage Motherboard 820-0064-B/607-0164-M 1982 picture

Apple IIe Vintage Motherboard 820-0064-B/607-0164-M 1982

$90.00



Vintage Unisys PCK101-KBD Mechanical Keyboard Wired OC1G Nice picture

Vintage Unisys PCK101-KBD Mechanical Keyboard Wired OC1G Nice

$99.99



Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25

Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00

$199.99



Apple Studio Display Monitor CRT 17

Apple Studio Display Monitor CRT 17" Clear Vintage Untested READ BROKEN STAND

$300.00