Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Proper way to set up wireless using Ndiswrapper

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4

    Proper way to set up wireless using Ndiswrapper

    I have a Belkin F5D7010 PCMIA card that i'm trying to set up using Ndiswrapper but i'm not sure how.

    Bert

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204

    Re: Proper way to set up wireless using Ndiswrapper

    Quote Originally Posted by dutchcreek
    I have a Belkin F5D7010 PCMIA card that i'm trying to set up using Ndiswrapper but i'm not sure how.

    Bert
    Go to the following link and check out the FAQ 2 & 3

    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Network_FAQ

    Good luck and have fun

    Rgds,
    Chip

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4
    Well, this is how far I got, let me know what else I can try.

    dsl@box:~$ sudo ndiswrapper -i net8185.inf
    Installing net8185
    dsl@box:~$ ndiswrapper -l
    Installed drivers:
    net8185 driver installed
    dsl@box:~$ ndiswrapper -d 1799:701f net8185
    Driver 'net8185' is used for '1799:701f'
    dsl@box:~$ ndiswrapper -l
    dsl@box:~$ modprobe ndiswrapper
    dsl@box:~$ lsmod | grep ndiswrapper
    ndiswrapper 171708 0
    usbcore 58016 1 [ndiswrapper hid usb-storage usb-ohci]
    dsl@box:~$ iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

    etho no wireless extensions.
    dsl@box:~$


    Bert[/code]

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchcreek
    Well, this is how far I got, let me know what else I can try.

    dsl@box:~$ sudo ndiswrapper -i net8185.inf
    Installing net8185
    dsl@box:~$ ndiswrapper -l
    Installed drivers:
    net8185 driver installed
    dsl@box:~$ ndiswrapper -d 1799:701f net8185
    Driver 'net8185' is used for '1799:701f'
    dsl@box:~$ ndiswrapper -l
    dsl@box:~$ modprobe ndiswrapper
    dsl@box:~$ lsmod | grep ndiswrapper
    ndiswrapper 171708 0
    usbcore 58016 1 [ndiswrapper hid usb-storage usb-ohci]
    dsl@box:~$ iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

    etho no wireless extensions.
    dsl@box:~$


    Bert[/code]
    Don't sound good to me. However, I believe you are using dsl instead. Not knoppix, is that true?

    I think I tested DSL 3.3 on my laptop before and I don't remember the result. I need to find an environment to test for it again. I'm recently on a trip and it is very hard to find an environment that I can have total control.

    One more question, your machine only have wireless network card and do not have wired network card? I only see the lo and the eth0 shown up in your output.

    Rgds,
    Chip

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4
    Yes, i'm using dsl but didn't get any help in the dsl forums that's why I came here. I have wired internet but this is a laptop so I don't want to have to hook up a cable all the time. My Belkin Card (F5D7010) works fine in Ubuntu, PClinux, Puppy linux etc.

    Bert

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchcreek
    Yes, i'm using dsl but didn't get any help in the dsl forums that's why I came here. I have wired internet but this is a laptop so I don't want to have to hook up a cable all the time. My Belkin Card (F5D7010) works fine in Ubuntu, PClinux, Puppy linux etc.

    Bert
    With the info you posted, obviously dsl did not find the wireless adapter (eth0 is your wired adapter). If the ndiswrapper is successfully installed, you should have a wlan0 or a eth1 on the iwconfig listing.

    I went to ndiswrapper official web site and check for the known card that ndiswrapper supports. Unfortunately, it does not have any record on your model.

    http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net

    I tested my laptop (Dell D610) on DSL 3.3 and it is working fine. The windows driver I'm using is for windows xp. Are u using windows XP driver as well?

    Rgds,
    Chip

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4
    http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/j...,33/id,list_b/

    Number 38 is my card and i'm using the rtl8185 Windows drivers. This card works fine in Ubuntu, PClinuxOS and Puppy Linux using Ndiswrapper, it does not work in dsl linux for some reason ?

    Bert

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchcreek
    http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joomla/index.php?/component/option,com_openwiki/Itemid,33/id,list_b/

    Number 38 is my card and i'm using the rtl8185 Windows drivers. This card works fine in Ubuntu, PClinuxOS and Puppy Linux using Ndiswrapper, it does not work in dsl linux for some reason ?

    Bert
    It could be the kernel that DSL is using. I believe the version I have is using kernel 2.4.

    Rgds,
    Chip

Similar Threads

  1. Using NdisWrapper tutorial for wireless net cards wiki
    By joshwolf17 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2006, 07:59 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-27-2006, 07:12 AM
  3. Wireless wlan0/ndiswrapper problem
    By glj12 in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-25-2006, 10:36 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-2006, 07:44 PM
  5. Help with wireless, ndiswrapper & gcc please
    By Rangdo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2005, 01:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver picture

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver

$1500.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New picture

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New

$50.00



Cisco C9300NM8X Network Switch Module picture

Cisco C9300NM8X Network Switch Module

$649.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch

$39.99



Cisco C9130AXI-B Dual Band Wireless Access Point 9130AXI  Internal Antenna B picture

Cisco C9130AXI-B Dual Band Wireless Access Point 9130AXI Internal Antenna B

$65.00