-
Junior Member
registered user
Missing .bash_profile file
While trying to learn how to use the bash shell, I was asked on two different occasions to edit the .bash_profile file purportedly located in my home directory. Unfortunately neither the ls -a command nor a search via the Find applet were able to locate it. Is this file part of Knoppix and if so where/how can I locate it? If not, there must be a similar file that serves in the same manner as the missing one. Which one? Btw, what I wanted to do with it was to enter (1) an alias and (2) a path to a file containing my scripts so that the latter can be executed from any directory without the need to navigate to the directory that contains them first.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Missing .bash_profile file
You can just create one, and put your commands in it.
Many linux systems will fall back to /etc/bash_profile (note no dot) if it is there, but I don't see one on the image I am using.
google would get you lots of info on this - it is a very general linux question
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks! I will keep this in mind. Meanwhile, I found that the .bashrc file (which is the home directory) can do exactly what I wanted to get out of the missing .bash_profile file. Thanks again!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Missing .bash_profile file
I think is necessary to clear something confusing here, knowing for what .bash_profile and .bashrc are in place:
.bash_profile is loaded on login shells (those that you go in loading the system in text-only mode or throught 'ctrl-alt-fx')
.bashrc came in place on non-login shells (such as xterm, konsole etc.)
In my knoppix .bash_profile doesn't exist by default.

Originally Posted by
wbatw
Many linux systems will fall back to /etc/bash_profile (note no dot) if it is there, but I don't see one on the image I am using.
Maybe you are talking about /etc/profile.
Both .bashrc and .bash_profile residing in the home directory are strictly user-related. '/etc/profile' instead affect all the system, so what you put in it take effect even on root-user and all other users.
Similar Threads
-
By Rey Flores in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-18-2005, 09:18 PM
-
By s-m-n in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-23-2005, 05:27 PM
-
By mmarks in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-14-2005, 07:20 PM
-
By Kellymyrick in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-16-2004, 11:52 PM
-
By krix in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-29-2004, 09:39 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller
$714.99

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

HighPoint RS6614V 4-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID Enclosure - Mint
$349.00

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD
$14.99

Promise Technology Pegasus2 R4 4Bay Thunderbolt 2 RAID Storage Array 8TB G2U
$169.99

1 Dell Ultra SSD M.2 NVMe PCI-Express x16 Solid State Storage Adapter Card 6N9RH
$59.99