-
Wireless not recognizede
I have an HP zd7058cl. Knoppix installed beautifully with one glaring exception. It did not recognize the built in wireless card. I called HP to get a linux based driver, or some support on using the windows one and was told "HP does not support Linux." After telling the tech that his company should join the 21st century I turned my attention hre. HELP I need to convert 3 HP PCs to Linux but without wireless I can't
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Wireless support depends on what chip set your HP uses. There is a good chance that Linux will support your HP. Try the BackTrack2 Live CD if you want a Live CD with a good chance of supporting your hardware. Mandriva and Puppy Linux may also have the support you need. But Knoppix wireless support is particularly poor and installing Knoppix on a hard disk is usually a mistake unless you are a very experienced user. I would suggest that you find some distro that is intended for hard disk install if that's what you are trying to do.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Wireless not recognizede

Originally Posted by
rebshalom
I have an HP zd7058cl. Knoppix installed beautifully with one glaring exception. It did not recognize the built in wireless card. I called HP to get a linux based driver, or some support on using the windows one and was told "HP does not support Linux." After telling the tech that his company should join the 21st century I turned my attention hre. HELP I need to convert 3 HP PCs to Linux but without wireless I can't
Harry is right about the poor wireless support of knoppix. I wish the next version of knoppix has better support.
However, you still can do it a try on ndiswrapper.
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Network_FAQ
Check out the above URL on FAQ 2 & 3 might help you to have the wireless connection. Be careful that even with ndiswrapper, a large portion of the hardware still does not supported. You have to try your luck.
Good luck and have fun.
Rgds,
Chip
-
you should try ubuntu....
-
I've had success with grml and Puppy Linux on my Averatec 3715 laptop. They both recognize my wireless cards without any trouble, so I would try those.
Similar Threads
-
By dtzxdtzx1 in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-31-2007, 11:20 PM
-
By rpk073 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-14-2005, 12:09 PM
-
By sparticus in forum Laptops
Replies: 9
Last Post: 10-23-2004, 12:55 AM
-
By dave52355 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-04-2004, 09:23 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested
$35.00

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

Intel Core i5-13500 2.5GHz/4.8GHz Boost 14-Core SRMBM LGA1700 Desktop Processor
$165.00

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$67.99

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD
$27.99

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG
$299.99