Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Wireless not recognizede

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1

    Wireless not recognizede

    I have an HP zd7058cl. Knoppix installed beautifully with one glaring exception. It did not recognize the built in wireless card. I called HP to get a linux based driver, or some support on using the windows one and was told "HP does not support Linux." After telling the tech that his company should join the 21st century I turned my attention hre. HELP I need to convert 3 HP PCs to Linux but without wireless I can't

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Wireless support depends on what chip set your HP uses. There is a good chance that Linux will support your HP. Try the BackTrack2 Live CD if you want a Live CD with a good chance of supporting your hardware. Mandriva and Puppy Linux may also have the support you need. But Knoppix wireless support is particularly poor and installing Knoppix on a hard disk is usually a mistake unless you are a very experienced user. I would suggest that you find some distro that is intended for hard disk install if that's what you are trying to do.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204

    Re: Wireless not recognizede

    Quote Originally Posted by rebshalom
    I have an HP zd7058cl. Knoppix installed beautifully with one glaring exception. It did not recognize the built in wireless card. I called HP to get a linux based driver, or some support on using the windows one and was told "HP does not support Linux." After telling the tech that his company should join the 21st century I turned my attention hre. HELP I need to convert 3 HP PCs to Linux but without wireless I can't
    Harry is right about the poor wireless support of knoppix. I wish the next version of knoppix has better support.

    However, you still can do it a try on ndiswrapper.

    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Network_FAQ

    Check out the above URL on FAQ 2 & 3 might help you to have the wireless connection. Be careful that even with ndiswrapper, a large portion of the hardware still does not supported. You have to try your luck.

    Good luck and have fun.

    Rgds,
    Chip

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6
    you should try ubuntu....

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6
    I've had success with grml and Puppy Linux on my Averatec 3715 laptop. They both recognize my wireless cards without any trouble, so I would try those.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-31-2007, 11:20 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2005, 12:09 PM
  3. No Wireless Extensions/No wireless card found?
    By sparticus in forum Laptops
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 12:55 AM
  4. No wireless extensions with Zonet USB wireless w/knoppix 3.4
    By dave52355 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-04-2004, 09:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95