Did you run cfdisk and set up a primary linux bootable partition (82?)as well as a linux swap partition (83) and rewrite this info?
Good luck,
I can't seem to get Linux to boot....
...at all.
Brand new HD, nothing on it at all, nor has there ever been.
I tried LiLo and Grub to no avail.
I've tried Gentoo and Knoppix both SEEM to install fine... but after removing the boot/liveCD, the computer won't boot from the HD...
[I seem to have no troubble in installing Knoppix using
knx-hdinstall
and I think I only need two partitions one root and one swap...?]
My goal here is to run Knoppix from my HD, I have no problem booting from CD and running it. but booting from the HD just dosn't work, I get a:
"Disk boot error, insert system disk and press enter" when I start up without the CD in.
I have to boot order set up correctly in the BIOS (I've tried switching the order too)
1st CDROM
2nd HDD-0
I can save files to the HD and read files saved on it. I'm sure the HD works, and it's not a mechanical prob. Like I said, Knoppix SEEMS to install fine, all the correct files are there and what not. IT JUST WON"T BOOT!!!
I'm thinking maybe something about the MBR is off? or I need to zero out part of the disk?
(It's got to be something fundamentally simple that I just don't have adjusted correctly I think...?)
I'm very new to Linux and have very few ideas as to what to do.
I'm open to any any all suggestions, just fire away, I need more stuff to try.
Thanks!!!
[/u]
Did you run cfdisk and set up a primary linux bootable partition (82?)as well as a linux swap partition (83) and rewrite this info?
Good luck,
Yes
Tried that.
LiLo still won't load.....
How do I write to or just erase the MBR?
I had a problem with them MBR whereby I couldn't boot WIN95 anymore after a knx-hdinstall. What I did was get a Windoze rescue disk and run fdisk /mbr.
I hope that helps you too!
Hi all,
Just installed KPX 3.1 on my PIII550/512MB box and all works fine, apart from not being able to boot from the hdd that is ;(
I've got a swap, root and a fat32 shared partition. All I get is 99... and then it stops. The only way to boot from hdd is with the floopy.
PS: The root partition was selected as bootable.
Any pointers? MTIA
Axel
Also have the same problem. There are some complications too (newbie, so bear with me):
1) Laptop
2) No floppy, forget booting from one
3) Booting from CD-ROM doesn't work with all CDs. Some windoze cds don't work. Knoppix CD boots ok.
4) knx-hdinstall runs ok, if knoppix booted in cmd line. During install cfdisk creates partitions in /dev/hdb. Only one HD. Dunno what happened to /dev/hda. Tried going with and without LILO.
5) When trying to boot from HD, after successful knx-hdinstall, bios does not find it.
6) Managed to boot DOS from a rescue CD and run fdisk /mbr. It said there were no HDs.
Bottom line: mbr is totally screwed up. I need to find a way to fix it from knoppix CD.
Help appreciated.
New developments.
I've noticed that lilo.conf had:
boot = /dev/hda
There's no hda in this system, so I tried to fix it with:
(edited lilo.conf to have 'boot=/dev/hdb1' instead of above)
su
mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1
chroot /mnt/hdb1
lilo -v
The following warnings show up:
'/proc/partitions' does not exist. disk scan bypassed
/dev/hdb1 is not on the first disk
Still, I rebooted and got the "non system disk" error.
Again, the problem was not on the wood but on the carpenter.
Hd was on slave.I made back ups and forgot to set it as master again.

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A
$29.99
SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE
$214.99
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99
Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD
$13.00
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA III SSD MZ-76E500 MZ7LH500HALU
$50.00
Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1
$59.99
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.80
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA III 2.5" Internal SSD (MZ7LN250HMJP) dell Lenovo hp
$32.99
KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac
$60.00