-
Senior Member
registered user
minimalist multimedia programs
Hi,
I am cutting the fat of the system and wanted to know what would be a minimalist options(programs to install) in order to do the following :
1. play VCD/DVD
2. play Audio CD as well as MP3 files
3. play WMA/Quick Time/Real audio files
If possible I don't want non-free stuff and I understand that may not be possible for (3).
There is so many programs floating around and I am confused. Can XINE do all of the above ?
thanks for any help in advance.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: minimalist multimedia programs
I guess it can, but why don't you use something like Movix.
"Supported formats are all formats supported by the MPlayer, most noticeably DivX but more in general it can play DVDs, VCDs, AudioCDs and any avi, mpeg, quicktime, wmv, asf, fli and a few others. BTW, I compiled mplayer with mp3 & ogg/vorbis support so you can also use it to play music!"
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks for the suggestion but I am not looking for a distribution but want to build a distribution that is not limited to multi-media but other usage, multimedia is part of the functionality only. However, I want to install as little programs as possible but still meet the basic needs in this area, as outlined.
I understand that KNOPPIX can also do that but there is too much in it, that is why I want to cherry pick my own.
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Senior Member
registered user
thanks for the help, I would settle on mplayer for video and xmms for audio. I believe that should meet the basic everyday video/audo needs.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I think XMMS is quite excellent myself. (even if it IS a port). It does everything I need it to anyway. I don't use Mplayer but I might watch a DVD on my box once a year. For that I use VLC which might be of interest to you. It has network video capabilities.
Video LAN Client
I could see some good potential uses in the version of Knoppix you'd like to create.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks, it seems that VLC is even better than mplayer based on the feature list and it can even play audio, so may be I can shoot two birds with one stone ?
As for my work-in-progress(very early stage) distribution, I am still aiming at the goal of multiple mini-cd(185M), with the basic one being feature to feature compatible with XP and additional ones holding office or server or something else. The idea of Morphix but do it in my way.
Of course, coming from a window background, I would make the HD installation window friendly(meaning no repartition required as that scares people, even me), similar to topologilinux(spelling?).
-
Senior Member
registered user
--Later versions of Knoppix 3.2 come with ' pia ' movie player, I haven't used it myself but you might want to look into it.

Originally Posted by
garyng
Thanks, it seems that VLC is even better than mplayer based on the feature list and it can even play audio, so may be I can shoot two birds with one stone ?
As for my work-in-progress(very early stage) distribution, I am still aiming at the goal of multiple mini-cd(185M), with the basic one being feature to feature compatible with XP and additional ones holding office or server or something else. The idea of Morphix but do it in my way.
Of course, coming from a window background, I would make the HD installation window friendly(meaning no repartition required as that scares people, even me), similar to topologilinux(spelling?).
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Dave_Bechtel
--Later versions of Knoppix 3.2 come with ' pia ' movie player, I haven't used it myself but you might want to look into it.
Never heard of that one before. The man page tells me that it plays quicktime though. Anyone heard of a frontend for pia?
Similar Threads
-
By tommydl in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-26-2004, 01:33 PM
-
By JockVSJock in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 02-14-2004, 04:04 PM
-
By stefan741 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-15-2003, 06:10 PM
-
By aay in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-30-2003, 11:35 AM
-
By escherian in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-12-2003, 11:56 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.50

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$289.80

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

computer memory ddr4 SDRAM
$300.00

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50