Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: minimalist multimedia programs

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    minimalist multimedia programs

    Hi,

    I am cutting the fat of the system and wanted to know what would be a minimalist options(programs to install) in order to do the following :

    1. play VCD/DVD
    2. play Audio CD as well as MP3 files
    3. play WMA/Quick Time/Real audio files

    If possible I don't want non-free stuff and I understand that may not be possible for (3).

    There is so many programs floating around and I am confused. Can XINE do all of the above ?

    thanks for any help in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298

    Re: minimalist multimedia programs

    I guess it can, but why don't you use something like Movix.

    "Supported formats are all formats supported by the MPlayer, most noticeably DivX but more in general it can play DVDs, VCDs, AudioCDs and any avi, mpeg, quicktime, wmv, asf, fli and a few others. BTW, I compiled mplayer with mp3 & ogg/vorbis support so you can also use it to play music!"

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Thanks for the suggestion but I am not looking for a distribution but want to build a distribution that is not limited to multi-media but other usage, multimedia is part of the functionality only. However, I want to install as little programs as possible but still meet the basic needs in this area, as outlined.

    I understand that KNOPPIX can also do that but there is too much in it, that is why I want to cherry pick my own.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    thanks for the help, I would settle on mplayer for video and xmms for audio. I believe that should meet the basic everyday video/audo needs.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I think XMMS is quite excellent myself. (even if it IS a port). It does everything I need it to anyway. I don't use Mplayer but I might watch a DVD on my box once a year. For that I use VLC which might be of interest to you. It has network video capabilities.
    Video LAN Client

    I could see some good potential uses in the version of Knoppix you'd like to create.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Thanks, it seems that VLC is even better than mplayer based on the feature list and it can even play audio, so may be I can shoot two birds with one stone ?

    As for my work-in-progress(very early stage) distribution, I am still aiming at the goal of multiple mini-cd(185M), with the basic one being feature to feature compatible with XP and additional ones holding office or server or something else. The idea of Morphix but do it in my way.

    Of course, coming from a window background, I would make the HD installation window friendly(meaning no repartition required as that scares people, even me), similar to topologilinux(spelling?).

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Later versions of Knoppix 3.2 come with ' pia ' movie player, I haven't used it myself but you might want to look into it.

    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    Thanks, it seems that VLC is even better than mplayer based on the feature list and it can even play audio, so may be I can shoot two birds with one stone ?

    As for my work-in-progress(very early stage) distribution, I am still aiming at the goal of multiple mini-cd(185M), with the basic one being feature to feature compatible with XP and additional ones holding office or server or something else. The idea of Morphix but do it in my way.

    Of course, coming from a window background, I would make the HD installation window friendly(meaning no repartition required as that scares people, even me), similar to topologilinux(spelling?).

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    --Later versions of Knoppix 3.2 come with ' pia ' movie player, I haven't used it myself but you might want to look into it.
    Never heard of that one before. The man page tells me that it plays quicktime though. Anyone heard of a frontend for pia?

Similar Threads

  1. Booting from USB-Key or Multimedia card
    By tommydl in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-26-2004, 01:33 PM
  2. Knoppix as a multimedia server?
    By JockVSJock in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 04:04 PM
  3. Multimedia-Keyboards with HOTKEYS during startup?
    By stefan741 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-15-2003, 06:10 PM
  4. Multimedia tips.
    By aay in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-30-2003, 11:35 AM
  5. Knoppix Multimedia @ opensourcelab.it
    By escherian in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-12-2003, 11:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



HP EliteBook 830 G8 Core I7-1185G7 3.00GHz Laptop 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD picture

HP EliteBook 830 G8 Core I7-1185G7 3.00GHz Laptop 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD

$250.00



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



Microsoft Surface Pro 5 Silver 128GB SSD 4gb RAM picture

Microsoft Surface Pro 5 Silver 128GB SSD 4gb RAM

$97.97



AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4 picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4

$279.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS picture

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS

$99.99



HP Envy X360 15t-w100 Core i7-5500U@2.4GHz 8GB 256GB SSD Win11Hm Nvidia GeForce  picture

HP Envy X360 15t-w100 Core [email protected] 8GB 256GB SSD Win11Hm Nvidia GeForce

$170.00