-
Junior Member
registered user
USB Camera (Canon PowerShot A410) woes
OK, so this to where I have gotten by just using google and playing around. I plug in my camera and turn it on. I get a new window with the options:
Open in new window
Upload photos to Digikam (twice)
do nothing
If I open it in a new window I get to the folder "system:/media/camera/" containing a folder that contains the PTP class file.
If I open in Digikam and try to access the camera, it says: "Failed to list files in media/camera"
Then I found out about gtkam and low and behold it is already on Knoppix (running v5.0.1 BTW). Too bad it's using libgphoto 2.1.6 (a later version has my camera listed)
I go to add camera (via auto detect it uses standard ptp and usb) and it gives me the error message: "Could not initialize camera".
No fun here either. Then I realise that Digikam probably uses libgphoto itself. Anyways I find this post here, but when I do "mount" to see what devicese there are the only one that look like they relate to my camera are:
/proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/proc/bus/usb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,devmode=0666)
Which is already set to RW.
I figured, I'll just update libgphoto then, but failed miserably in trying since I know pretty much nothing about Linux and was happy enough to get Flash working.
Via Google I did find out that the standard PTP driver should work just fine and that the specified driver was added after that was figured out (listed as PTP mode as well).
So if anyone knows what it is that isn't working or what it is I am too stupid to get working. Please tell me. Once again I feel like a f**ktard in the Linux domain.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I Don't Do Digicam
If you don't mind spending $20.00 buy a Sandisk 5 in 1 card reader. That is what I did when digicam couldn't find my Epson Z612 camera.
Linux will see it when you plug it in your USB port and with your place your card reader chip inserted, it acts just like a little drive, to retrieve not only photos, but to copy/move etc any type of file you want. $20.00 well spent IMHO.
It requires no new drivers beyond what is already on your system (mass storage).
sakiZ
-
Junior Member
registered user
I'd really like to avoid spending any extra dough. As nice as a card reader would be....
Poor student here. I'm too poor to buy a new PC or have this one fixed. That's why I am pretty much running from Knoppix.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Matthew87
I'd really like to avoid spending any extra dough. As nice as a card reader would be....
Poor student here. I'm too poor to buy a new PC or have this one fixed. That's why I am pretty much running from Knoppix.
I don't use my Canon camera as a gphoto device. I just use it as a USB mass storage device.
Plug in camera.
Open konqueror file manager.
Depending on version of Knoppix, go to
/media or /mnt
go to new usb mount point (sda1, uba1, etc).
Or click on the little pendrive desktop icon that is created.
You may need to stop gphoto or any daemons/servers that try to define the camera as a ptp device.
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
cbagger01

Originally Posted by
Matthew87
I'd really like to avoid spending any extra dough. As nice as a card reader would be....
Poor student here. I'm too poor to buy a new PC or have this one fixed. That's why I am pretty much running from Knoppix.
I don't use my Canon camera as a gphoto device. I just use it as a USB mass storage device.
Plug in camera.
Open konqueror file manager.
Depending on version of Knoppix, go to
/media or /mnt
go to new usb mount point (sda1, uba1, etc).
Or click on the little pendrive desktop icon that is created.
You may need to stop gphoto or any daemons/servers that try to define the camera as a ptp device.
So I killed a couple of processes, but I still can't get a desktop icon or anything in /media (Knoppix v5.0.1) and I checked /mnt but there's a file that doesn't seem to exist...
In /media I've got fd0, hd, test - all empty.
So there are probably still processes I need to kill. Any chance you know which?
Similar Threads
-
By sakiZ in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-03-2006, 03:21 AM
-
By OtterToast in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-26-2005, 04:59 AM
-
By dmpop in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 08-25-2004, 03:45 PM
-
By Coume in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-17-2003, 08:41 AM
-
By wikes82 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-09-2003, 10:34 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.72