Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: ssh logging in. What password ?!

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    ssh logging in. What password ?!

    I got the sshd service running. clicked the penguin..services, and found start ssh service

    The username on the computer I am logging into, is "knoppix" at least that is what is displayed when I type "whoami".


    I can do
    $ssh [email protected]
    But it asks me for a password.

    If I set a password then I would know it!! How can I set the password?

  2. #2
    I have the answer.. I got it largely via IRC (e.g. using the MIRC client) I googled knoppix IRC and it said what servers to connect to. And I joined #knoppix and asked.

    The passwd command changes password, they said.
    It seems to allow creation of users too. But I never actually used that in the end.

    I noticed that after starting ssh server (by doing something like clicking the penguin...services..start ssh server) . It then told me the username(no big deal, I can find that with the whoami command). And it also asked me to set the password.

    So that solves that. I don`t know how I did not notice that before. Maybe I just hit return and then it said "hit return to exit" and I did and the windows closes. And maybe with a blank password it won`t allow a connection.

    I strongly suggest that people if they get their problems solved, answer here. This forum seems very dead.

    I have even seen posts asking how to start the ssh server, go unanswered. This is very strange.

Similar Threads

  1. Logging into Debian.
    By Aspra in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-01-2006, 06:24 PM
  2. logging out
    By artikid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 03:05 AM
  3. Logging off from bash
    By Salzi in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-09-2004, 02:56 AM
  4. Issues logging in
    By MSTDLR in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 02:08 AM
  5. Logging problems: only root!!
    By Bleim in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-03-2003, 11:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$55.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$339.00



Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5

Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s

$59.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59