-
Black screen after startup
Boot messages show OK including the Linux icon at the start.
Last boot message is "starting X windows system".
Screen goes dark but then flashes the boot screen for a moment before going dark again.
A lot of DVD drive activity continues for a while.
When drive activity stops, the screen alternately shows the Samsung Display "Analog/Digital" messages (as when the system is initially powered up).
I have to power off to regain control.
The DVD file KNOPPIX_V5.1.1DVD-2007-01-04-EN.iso was downloaded & the md5 value checked OK. It displays Release 2007-01-04 on startup
The disk I created works correctly on an older computer with a CRT display.
A Knoppix Vers 4.0.2 CD I had made previously boots up correctly in both computers.
The problem system contains:
ASUS A8N-SLI-DX Mother Board
AMD Athlon 64 Processor
2GB Ram
Samsung Syncmaster 930B
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS
The forum question on black screen at www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28020 seems to be the same problem I am having.
On several boots I selected "Boot Options -F3" when the initial screen appeared and entered "knoppix screen=1024x768 depth=32", "knoppix screen=800x600 depth=16", "knoppix screen=1280x1024 depth=32" (since these depths are listed in Windows XP screen settings but depth 24 was not listed - 1280x1024 is the LCD native resolution). I also tried "knoppix screen=1280x1024 depth=32". Same problem for each.
In www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes I found a suggestion to enter "knoppix vga=0" at boot and then it worked correctly. The display came up set to 1280x1024 75Hz. However the display did not occupy the whole screen. Only 90% was used horizontally with the right side blank. With XP the 1280x1024 setting occupies the whole screen. With the Knoppix vers 4.0 CD, 97% was used horizontally but the K of the KNOPPER.NET icon was cut off on the left side.
Any suggestions?
Is there some way to make the startup automatic if I have to continue to use the vga=0 boot command?
-
Hi,
I came here with the same problem - using Knoppix 5.2 DVD, my monitor displays an out-of-timing-range message at the same point of the bootup process. I booted the DVD once successfully on another computer. My system is also nVidia-pested (A7N8X mobo + nVidia 7600GS GPU, LG Studioworks E700B monitor) and oddly enough, the 5.1 DVD works on that machine. I also get the error message "/etc/rcS.d/S00knoppix-autoconfig: line 705: echo: write error: Invalid argument" like another user with a "black screen" problem reported. I'm kinda shocked because I never saw a Knoppix CD/DVD *not* working without help/tweaking...
@Old Canoeist:
Sounds like your monitor doesn't get the proper vsync frequency for that display mode/resolution. Although I use a CRT, I guess it's similar with plasma screens: The display memorizes screen size adjustments for each resolution at a certain vsync setting. If the vsync frequency changes for a given resolution, it needs re-adjustment. You could try to set the vsync "cheatcode" according to the setting you use with your normal OS.
-
It's Knoppix 5.1.1
I've put together a new desktop with a GeForce 7300 GT video card. I can verify that I get the same blank screen (exactly as described) when I try to use version 5.1.1. This was a real head scratcher for me, because when Knoppix didn't work it really freaked me out. I tried it in my laptop with an ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 video card and the live CD worked fine. Hooking speakers up to the desktop I found that sounds are still played even though the screen is black. Using the advice here I burned a copy of version 4.0.2 I found that it worked fine with the desktop. Knoppix 5.1.1 bug?
-
same here
amd64x2 , geforce 8600gts
gentoo works fine, knoppix does not boot up x , black screen
tried :
vga=0
vga=normal
screen=800x600
vsync=85 hsync=75
finally this helped me...
vsync=60 hsync=60
Similar Threads
-
By xXoBoXx in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-18-2007, 10:11 PM
-
By netfly in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-28-2005, 03:11 PM
-
By nooksack in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-12-2004, 05:50 AM
-
By mperry2014 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-29-2003, 05:58 AM
-
By Jmack0013 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-18-2003, 04:57 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12
$1599.99

SK Hynix 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200MHz ECC UDIMM RAM PC4-3200AA KIT
$150.00

Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-3G2R1TI ECC REG Server Memory RAM
$180.00

2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder
$3.99

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Samsung 64GB 2Rx4 PC5-4800B-RA0-1010-XT M321R8GA0BB0-CQKDS DDR5 EC8 RDIMM TH646
$2049.98

SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM
$499.99

(LOT OF 18) Kingston 16GB PC3L-10600R DDR3L-1333 2rx4 RDIMM ECC Server RAM
$180.00

Samsung 16GB 2Rx4 PC3-14900R DDR3 ECC RDIMM M393B2G70DB0-CMA
$49.99