I suspect that since "Windows" is less than eight characters, there is no long file name associated with it on the FAT32 drive and therefore no case information associated with it.
On my NTFS filesystem I have a directory called Windows, not WINDOWS. If I
mount -t ntfs -o rw /dev/hda1 /c
then
ls /c/Windows
lists files as required and
ls /c/WINDOWS
returns an error message, no such directory.
But: on my FAT32 filesystem I have a directory called WINDOWS, not Windows. If I
mount -t vfat -o posix,shortname=winnt /dev/hda1 /c
then
ls /c/Windows
lists all the files under /c/WINDOWS, as does
ls /c/WINDOWS
This is very annoying. I have played with every possible variation on options to -t vfat including shortname=mixed, etc. Can anybody tell me what options to -t vfat provide a foolproof distinction between lower case and upper case? (ie. will return an error message when any attempt is made to address a directory or file with casename errors)?
Thank you
I suspect that since "Windows" is less than eight characters, there is no long file name associated with it on the FAT32 drive and therefore no case information associated with it.
The first thing to note is that your mount point is /c
mount -t ntfs -o rw /dev/hda1 /c
You should therefore just list /c
i.e.
ls /c
this will give you all drive contents then you can do
cd /c/Windows
However why not open your home folder and in the location bar type /c this why you
have a graphical why to manipulate your files without having to type upper or lower
case names.
For permanent mounting create an entry in /etc/fstab
Example
/dev/hda1 ntfs-3g /mnt/winxp defaults,noauto,users 0 0
uses the ntfs-3g library with write capability to mount your windows NTFS partition.
It is not mounted at boot (noauto) but can be mounted simply by using kwikdisk
(if you use KDE)
HTH

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00
Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00
Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer
$599.99
Vintage NEC PC-8001 32KB RAM Fully Working Set w/ Monitor Cable & Tape
$499.00
Factory Sealed Windows 2000 Professional Upgrade Edition Vintage PC Software NOS
$50.00
Vintage AppleCare Protection Plan Box for Mac Model 607-3517 COLLECTIBLE ONLY
$20.00
Apple Macintosh Boot Disk System [1.0 - 8.0] 400/800k/1.4 Floppy for Vintage Mac
$11.75
Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95
Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*
$80.00
Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard
$350.00