Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Problem transferring files to external Hard Drive

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3

    Problem transferring files to external Hard Drive

    Hi there

    My computer has crashed and I basically cannot do anything with Windows XP.

    I've successfully booted it up using Knoppix and can now see all my documents. Before I attempt any repair I've decided to transfer all the essential files to an external Hard Drive connect via USB. I've reformatted the external drive to FAT32. The drive from which I am transferring from is NTFS. I'm assuming it's OK to transfer files from one file system to another ?

    I began transferring folders and files across and all seemed to be going well after transferring about 20 GB, however, I now seem unable to transfer certain folders (though there seems to be no problem transferring individual files !). When I atempt the transfer (by copying and pasting the folders) I get the following message:

    Could not make folder/media/sdb5/.......followed by the folder name

    where sdb5 is the external hard drive.

    Whenever, this happens the eternal HD becomes read only and I then have to r click on the desktop icon to attempt to transfer folders again. It seems to be a bit random as to which folders I can transfer !

    Please can someone explain what I might be doing wrong here. Why is it not letting me create folders on the external HD with certain files. Do I have to sign on as the root maybe ? Is it anthing to do with transferring files from NTFS to FAT32 ?

    Thanks for your help

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Problem transferring files to external Hard Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Joma
    ..... Is it anthing to do with transferring files from NTFS to FAT32 ?
    I don't know why you withheld the folder name, that makes me wonder if you have come across some issue that will work with NTFS but not FAT (although I don't know what that would be). Generally there is only one issue that I consider in transferring files from NTFS to FAT (which I have done safely many times), FAT has a file size limit of 4 gig minus 1 byte. There is also a 2 gig minus 1 byte limit for files transfered to and from FAT based systems like Win98 when using Windows networking (but bypass Windows networking with a transfer protocol like FTP and you can transfer files up to the FAT limit just fine).

    Maybe you have come across some other file system issue, like insanely large file names, excessively deeply nested subdirectories, or offbeat non-alphanumeric characters in a file name where there is some difference in what the two file systems allow. That would be my first guess. Alternately your external drive may just be giving you problems.

    Microsoft may have also screwed you by it's sloppy support for LBA addressing. They apparently do the LBA calculation in different ways on different OSs, and this results in improper mapping of some sectors! Strangely, this mapping seems to always work for low sectors, but when the partition size is over 32 gigs the upper sectors can be written to wrong locations and corrupt everything. I know of no fix for this, other than the unpleasant work around of partitioning any drive that is moved between OSs into many small partitions. (I actually first saw this problem in a system that dual booted betwen win95 and win98, and the corruption cut in much more quickly, before the 1 gig barrier was even crossed).
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3
    Hi Harry

    Thank for your reply. I just withheld the folder names as there are lots of them and I didn't think the actual names of the folders would be relevant.

    Anyway, I have now managed to transfer all the folders across, so for anyone else who might have the same problem, all I did, rather than transfer the folders directly to the directory on the external HD, I transferred them into an empty folder on the external HD. For some reason this seemed to work fine, I have no idea why, but it worked, and I have now at least managed to save all the data.

    Cheers

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Colombia
    Posts
    1
    Hi Joma,

    Have you installed unlocker to check if there are any process using those folders? I had a similar problem with my Western Digital My Book Premium Edition and that's what I did.

Similar Threads

  1. Transferring files from linux to external usb hard drive
    By metsn05 in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-01-2008, 07:45 AM
  2. cannot write to external hard drive
    By whocares89 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-25-2006, 11:07 AM
  3. ND HELP TRANSFERRING FILES FROM LAPTOP TO USB DRIVE
    By deetramm in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-19-2006, 07:53 PM
  4. Stalling when transferring large files to usb 2.0 drive
    By kjjaeger in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2005, 07:37 PM
  5. External Hard Drive question
    By Phatmonkey in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-30-2004, 09:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



Set of 2 HMAA4GR7CJR8N-XN HYNIX 32GB (1X32GB) 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA MEMORY  picture

Set of 2 HMAA4GR7CJR8N-XN HYNIX 32GB (1X32GB) 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA MEMORY

$500.00



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



Samsung 64GB (16GBx4) 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA M393A2K43EM3-CWENY DDR4 Server Memory picture

Samsung 64GB (16GBx4) 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA M393A2K43EM3-CWENY DDR4 Server Memory

$399.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS picture

Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS

$1450.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98