Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Backup from ntfs filesystem to usb stick or dvd-r (SOLVED)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2

    Backup from ntfs filesystem to usb stick or dvd-r (SOLVED)

    Okey so it sounds easy and I hope it is but i'm stuck.

    I have around 3GB of data on my harddrive, (windows, ntfs filesystem) Pictures, Documents, etc that I need to make a backup of.
    First I have 3 options, either I can burn to a dvd with the bundled K3b or I could just copy to my usb stick but I can't get any of it to work or a 3rd ...... option.

    1. Burn to a DVD-R
    I started K3b and prepared everything (the project), and bash.
    unmounted, and ejected the dvd, inserted a empty dvd and tried to burn but got a error msg so it failed. (sorry for not supplying the errormsg but it was somthing about a remount, will see if I find any logs if they exist)

    2. Copy to a usb-stick
    I have a 4GB Voyager GT Readyboost stick which I used to boost vista so it's full at the moment but I can't find any files on the stick
    knoppix@Knoppix:/mnt/sda1$ ls -a
    . ..
    knoppix@Knoppix:/mnt/sda1$ df -h /mnt/sda1/
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1 3.9G 3.9G 12M 100% /media/sda1
    3. Reinstall Vista for the gazillionth time

    I rather go with option 2, I really don't want to go with option 3 i'm migrating back to linux again sick off all the crashes and lost userprofiles.

    EDIT :
    As soon as I get the above sorted I'm doing a knoppix-livedvd -> gentoo install.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8
    Shouldn't you be doing ls -a /media/sda1 instead of ls -a /mnt/sda1 ?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    Shouldn't you be doing ls -a /media/sda1 instead of ls -a /mnt/sda1 ?
    Err I think so though I wrote a disc instead, had to get another dvdreader couldn't get it to work when I unmounted the livedvd

Similar Threads

  1. USB flash: read-only filesystem [SOLVED]
    By jounihat in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-24-2005, 06:17 PM
  2. Mounted filesystem backup
    By Art McClure in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-14-2005, 06:47 PM
  3. Backup NTFS partition with Knoppix live cd?
    By OCedHrt in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-17-2004, 05:35 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-03-2004, 04:15 AM
  5. Using partimage to backup a ntfs partition
    By raymond139 in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-09-2003, 04:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis w/ Supermicro X10DRi 2x Xeon E5-2620 picture

Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis w/ Supermicro X10DRi 2x Xeon E5-2620

$325.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE picture

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE

$445.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD picture

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD

$635.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM picture

HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM

$174.99



8x A100 40GB PCIe 4U Server 2x AMD 128C 1TB DDR4 4x Paired NV Link AI GPU Server picture

8x A100 40GB PCIe 4U Server 2x AMD 128C 1TB DDR4 4x Paired NV Link AI GPU Server

$59000.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00