Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: No internet after hd installation problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Azzate-Varese (Italy)
    Posts
    9

    No internet after hd installation problem

    I'll try posting this question in a very simple way.
    I have tested my hardware (modem connection included) with the iso-3.2 CD. Everithing is simply perfect. Internet browsing no problem.

    After installing on the HD, no problem for this, I can't get my (dial-up) internet connection back to work. It's really driving me nuts...

    PLEASE NOTE: Modem works fine. I can ping my ISP no problem but if I try wathever, it won't resolve the domain names.
    If I try on my local network setting up a local web server, LAN connection works.
    Have been looking in my iptables to check and tried a /ets/init.d/iptables clear but didn't make a difference.
    Can anybody come up with a wise suggestion?
    It seems like a small thing I'm overlooking.....
    Cheers to all Knoppix/linux users
    pieter

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    /etc/resolv.conf

    that is where the DNS entries is stored

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Azzate-Varese (Italy)
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    /etc/resolv.conf

    that is where the DNS entries is stored
    and that is where the problem was....

    Many many thanks, I believe this could help many others on this list

    Bye Pieter

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    nepa
    Posts
    3
    I'm having an almost identical problem but I get no network whatsoever when I boot from my hdd. When booting from the CD, I have full support with no issues. I checked the following:

    /etc/resolv.conf -->same when running from cd or hdd
    /etc/network/interfaces --> same when running from cd or hdd


    when I run netcardconfig on the hdd boot, I receive the following:
    Sending DHCP boradcast from device eth0failed to connect to localhost:bootpc: Network is unreachable
    Failed.

    I'm not sure what I'm missing here but I'm amazed that I can run from the CD and go anywhere but when I try a clean install, I get nothing.

    Any help would be great.

    Tripper

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    nepa
    Posts
    3
    Oddly enough, I took the unit home and it came right up on my network. I did the original install at work and the situation was as stated in my previous post. When I plugged in to my router at home, I was up with no issues. I'm still unclear as to why and it would be nice if I could have the access while at work so if anyone came up with anything, please let me know.

    Tripper

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by madtripper
    when I run netcardconfig on the hdd boot, I receive the following:
    Sending DHCP boradcast from device eth0failed to connect to localhost:bootpc: Network is unreachable
    Failed.
    Fixed same problem on different box.

    added to /etc/modules.conf:
    alias eth0 tulip

    You may already have this in modules.conf or may need a different module.

    added to /etc/network/interfaces:
    auto lo eth0
    iface lo inet loopback
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

    The last two lines probably already exist, but missing the first line is enough to keep the loopback from getting an IP which just pisses things off. This is fixed in later versions of the knoppix hd install script.

Similar Threads

  1. HDD Installation problem
    By cryptos in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-08-2005, 10:48 AM
  2. Networking problem w/HDD installation...
    By shearroller in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2004, 01:46 PM
  3. Printer installation problem
    By timread in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 11:49 PM
  4. Linuxant Installation Problem
    By cvaezp in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2003, 06:44 AM
  5. Old OpenOffices for New! (un-installation problem)
    By Tortoise in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-13-2003, 12:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Digital Movie Poster ( USB-flash drive) picture

Digital Movie Poster ( USB-flash drive)

$100.00



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives picture

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives

$49.99