Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Problems Installing VMware Server 1.0.4 on top of Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL, USA
    Posts
    3

    Problems Installing VMware Server 1.0.4 on top of Knoppix

    I have Knoppix 5.1.1 installed on my hard drive. I am trying to install VMWare Server 1.0.4 on top of it. Actually, I succeeded in getting it installed after I used alias -r -c to convert the RPM package to a DEB package. But when I try to run vmware, it tells me I must first run vmware-config.pl.

    The problem is that I then need to tell vmware-config.pl where the C Header files are for the Linux Kernel. I finally deduced from other postings that they are in the /usr/include folder.

    But now when I try it, I get this message:

    The directory of kernel headers (version @@VMWARE@@ UTS_RELEASE) does not match
    your running kernel (version 2.6.19). Even if the module were to compile
    successfully, it would not load into the running kernel.


    Am I just barking up the wrong tree here? Can I use the free version of VMware Server, or am I going to have to look at VMware Workstation 6 or something like that?

    Am I correct in my interpretation of where the kernel source files are? And will the kernel update or not? I'm still at 2.6.19, but I note that a newer stable version is now available.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    You need the Knoppix custom linux-headers package, which you get with the 5.1.x DVD (but not with the CD, to save room).
    I can send you the package if you send me your email address by Forum Private Message. (7.7 MB if your email provider allows this).

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    I recommend that you do *not* try to update the kernel - it is customised.
    Anyway, and especially to use an updated kernel, you are better off installing Debian instead of Knoppix.
    Please refer to
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/HD_Insta...g_not_to_do_it
    which explains, inter alia, the perils of upgrading Knoppix.

Similar Threads

  1. Installing VMWare Player on Knoppix?
    By piuskid in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2008, 05:54 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-07-2005, 08:21 PM
  3. Help installing vmware in knoppix
    By wk1989 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-02-2005, 04:31 AM
  4. Installing Knoppix Thru VMWare
    By Fitzy in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 08:54 PM
  5. Installing VMWare 3.2 Client in Knoppix Question -
    By lindleyrl in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 05:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact  Switch picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch

$179.99



Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB picture

Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB

$54.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99