The PCI serial cards I have installed seem to work but only four ttyS# devices are present in the dev directory.
ttyS0, ttyS1, ttyS2, ttyS3. Is there a place in the bootup shell scripts where these are set?
Do I have to compile the kernel or add modules?
I've looked everywhere I can think of and the only references I can find are in
/proc/tty/driver/serial
ANDCode:serinfo:1.0 driver revision: 0: uart:16550A port:000003F8 irq:4 tx:11 rx:0 1: uart:16C950 port:00008000 irq:20 tx:11 rx:0 2: uart:16C950 port:00008008 irq:20 tx:11 rx:0 3: uart:16C950 port:00008010 irq:20 tx:11 rx:0
/proc/tty/drivers
However I don't really know what these files are.Code:/dev/tty /dev/tty 5 0 system:/dev/tty /dev/console /dev/console 5 1 system:console /dev/ptmx /dev/ptmx 5 2 system /dev/vc/0 /dev/vc/0 4 0 system:vtmaster serial /dev/ttyS 4 64-67 serial pty_slave /dev/pts 136 0-1048575 pty:slave pty_master /dev/ptm 128 0-1048575 pty:master pty_slave /dev/ttyp 3 0-255 pty:slave pty_master /dev/pty 2 0-255 pty:master pty_slave /dev/pts 136 0-1048575 pty:slave unknown /dev/tty 4 1-63 console
Could it be as simple as editing these then remastering or maybe these are output file to show what was found.
I appeciate any help on this.
Thanks,
Script Cat
I think I have found the place to change in the Kernel Config File "config2.6.19" under "#serial drivers" there exists the lines
- CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS=4 I changed to CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS=16
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_RUNTIME_UARTS=4 I changed to CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_RUNTIME_UARTS=16
Then I recompiled the Kernel using this as the ".config file" and make oldconfig. Now I'm having trouble trying to get the knoppix to use this Kernel.

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99
Lenovo Yoga 11e Gen 5 2-in-1 Touchscreen 11" HD Laptop 4GB 128GB SSD Windows 11
$99.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99
Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1539.00
Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...
$679.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$261.99