-
Log on to password protected wireless networks?
Hi,
I am using Knoppix 4.0.2 on an IBM thinkpad T22. I'm currently overseas and need to log on to various hotels' wireless networks.
So far, it has been straight forward. I bought a wireless card and installed it using ndiswrapper. Kwifimanager detected the network automatically and all I had to do was click on a browser and I was away.
Now I am in a hotel that has a password. I can't run windows on my laptop, but know that xp prompts you for the password when you want to browse, but I can't find how to do this. I've tried entering the password in encryption etc. but nothing works. The hotel has given me a cable and the internet works fine through that.
I managed to get the computer to detect their network by clicking on Network/Internet and then Network Card Configuration and entering "Any" for the essid prompt and entering the password in one of the later fields. The connection was ultimate, and it detected the network, but neither FIrefox nor Konquerer could show me a webpage. Kwifimanager did say in the bottom left hand corner "Access point unknown."
The problem was that after doing this, the computer would no longer connect to the internet via the cable, even when I removed the wireless card and rebooted. The only way to connect now is to run Knoppix from the DVD - normally I run it from my hard drive installation.
I am a real beginner and would appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Gemma
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-14-2007, 08:48 PM
-
By olcaddy in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-11-2006, 03:18 AM
-
By hsbsitez in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-29-2005, 05:16 AM
-
By mike engles in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-06-2005, 01:26 AM
-
By lindleyrl in forum Ideas
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-03-2003, 05:09 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

DDR4 LOT (56 TOTAL MODULES) - 8GB 1RX8 PC4-2400T
$1600.00

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00

NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3
$550.00

ADATA XPG Lancer Blade RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Desktop RAM Black
$429.94

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

LOT OF 4 Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ
$469.95

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00