Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Can't find KNIPPIX filesystem on DELL inpiron 530 desktop

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7

    Can't find KNIPPIX filesystem on DELL inpiron 530 desktop

    I have a knoppix 5.1.1 bootdisk and I have not been able to get it to work on my new DELL. It works fine on another system, so I am sure that the disk (CD) is ok. It starts loading and then gives an error "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell. Can't do anything in the shell either.
    tried failsafe cheatcode, same thing.
    Then I tried expert. It started to boot and then provided a list of scsi modules and asked me to type one in. Couldn't type anything, however. It just hangs there. What could be wrong? Do I need to install some new modules? (not that I know how to do that). I'm a novice linux user, but I'm trying to learn.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Can't find KNIPPIX filesystem on DELL inpiron 530 deskto

    Quote Originally Posted by wagoner
    .... It works fine on another system, so I am sure that the disk (CD) is ok. ....
    I've seen exactly that logic expressed by more than one other person, only to finally weeks later have them acknowledge that a low speed burn solved their boot problems. If the disk was burnt at high speed it can be quite marginal and behave differently on different CD drives. If you did not burn this disk yourself at low speed then I suggest that you burn another copy. And in light of failsafe not booting I suspect that this is the problem.

    Alternately, boot and type memtest at the boot prompt to run memtest86 and check your system memory.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7

    CD was from on-disk.com

    Thanks Harry. I can try burning a new disk at a slow speed. My current disk was purchased from on-disk.com. I was thinking that a commercially purchased disk would be of good quality, but perhaps not. I also purchased an ubuntu disk from them, and it did run on the Dell.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: CD was from on-disk.com

    Quote Originally Posted by wagoner
    .... I was thinking that a commercially purchased disk would be of good quality, but perhaps not. ....
    My expectation is exactly the opposite. I have no experience or knowledge of your particular vendor, but in general those selling discs this way tend to burn them as fast as they can to maximize profit. Think of it as "I can burn this disk in less than 2 minutes, or in 20 minutes or more if I make the effort to do a low speed burn". Which do you expect someone trying to profit by selling the work of others to do? They also tend to use cheap media, which may also be a problem, but we frequently see that high speed burns cause exactly the problem you report, the disc works in some drives but not others.

    Good luck on the reburn. Don't forget to run the md5 test, it is very important if you don't download with BitTorrent, and worth doing even if you do. And please post back to let us know your results.

Similar Threads

  1. Can't find Knoppix filesystem...
    By chiram in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 07:35 AM
  2. DVD 8-16-05 Can't Find Filesystem
    By muzicman82 in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-26-2005, 10:33 PM
  3. Can't Find Knoppix FileSystem
    By firefly2442 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 08:00 PM
  4. Cannot find filesystem
    By timjg in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-13-2003, 12:53 AM
  5. Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem
    By Ralph in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2003, 12:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R640  8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU

$315.00



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell PowerEdge R740 E38S001 Server E38S picture

Dell PowerEdge R740 E38S001 Server E38S

$660.00