-
Senior Member
registered user
Playing Movie DVDs and Music CDs
OK, I've got several hdinstalled PCs and I use them for coding and teaching computer science.
So, I've only used CDs and DVDs as backup devices or as bootable live discs.
Now, I realize that I have never used KNOPPIX to play Music or watch Movies! How do I do this on a hdinstalled PC?
TIA,
AJG
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Playing Movie DVDs and Music CDs

Originally Posted by
A. Jorge Garcia
OK, I've got several hdinstalled PCs and I use them for coding and teaching computer science. So, I've only used CDs and DVDs and backup devices or as bootable live discs. Now, I realize that I never used KNOPPIX to play Music or watch Movies! How do I do this on a hdinstalled PC?
TIA,
AJG
Can you be more articulate? Do you mean you have knoppix installed on a hard drive and want to watch movies, or watch them from a live linux CD?
Either way its the same answer, if youre running from a live CD then obviously the machine needs a second DVD/CD reader.
Software to play CD's is already on knoppix 5.11, take your pick from multimedia.
To watch DVD's you may first have to install libdvdcss from synaptic or the win32codecs package, as you dont specify any
video formats you're wanting to watch. Mplayer, Xine are players that can use to watch your media with, but if its a live CD then makes sure you have plenty of RAM.
-
Senior Member
registered user
This is the Hdd Install forum, so I'm talking about an hdinstalled PC.
OK, what I want to do is play Commercial Music CDs or Commercial Movie DVDs.
The closest I've got with Movie DVDs is to mount them with kwikDisk and open them as a data disk from my home folder in konqueror and openning the video files with xine from there. Is that how you do it? BTW, this procedure will not work with any Music CDs I've tried.
Also, I find that some of these video files are encrypted and some are not. Is that what the libdvdcss or win32codecs are for?
TIA,
AJG
-
Senior Member
registered user
I seem to remember an application by the name of kscd that auto mounted a music cd and played it. Is kscd or something like it still available. Is there something like it for movies on dvd?
TIA,
AJG
Similar Threads
-
By asearle in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-04-2005, 02:49 PM
-
By jjman123 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-13-2004, 11:31 PM
-
By appie1985 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-16-2004, 11:24 PM
-
By Atari911 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-20-2003, 11:29 PM
-
By jon267 in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 12-19-2003, 01:28 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER
$94.94

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

HP Z800 Workstation x2 Intel Xeon E5630 8GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD/OS
$199.99

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00