Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Playing Movie DVDs and Music CDs

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    Playing Movie DVDs and Music CDs

    OK, I've got several hdinstalled PCs and I use them for coding and teaching computer science.

    So, I've only used CDs and DVDs as backup devices or as bootable live discs.

    Now, I realize that I have never used KNOPPIX to play Music or watch Movies! How do I do this on a hdinstalled PC?

    TIA,
    AJG

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282

    Re: Playing Movie DVDs and Music CDs

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    OK, I've got several hdinstalled PCs and I use them for coding and teaching computer science. So, I've only used CDs and DVDs and backup devices or as bootable live discs. Now, I realize that I never used KNOPPIX to play Music or watch Movies! How do I do this on a hdinstalled PC?

    TIA,
    AJG
    Can you be more articulate? Do you mean you have knoppix installed on a hard drive and want to watch movies, or watch them from a live linux CD?

    Either way its the same answer, if youre running from a live CD then obviously the machine needs a second DVD/CD reader.
    Software to play CD's is already on knoppix 5.11, take your pick from multimedia.
    To watch DVD's you may first have to install libdvdcss from synaptic or the win32codecs package, as you dont specify any
    video formats you're wanting to watch. Mplayer, Xine are players that can use to watch your media with, but if its a live CD then makes sure you have plenty of RAM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    This is the Hdd Install forum, so I'm talking about an hdinstalled PC.

    OK, what I want to do is play Commercial Music CDs or Commercial Movie DVDs.

    The closest I've got with Movie DVDs is to mount them with kwikDisk and open them as a data disk from my home folder in konqueror and openning the video files with xine from there. Is that how you do it? BTW, this procedure will not work with any Music CDs I've tried.

    Also, I find that some of these video files are encrypted and some are not. Is that what the libdvdcss or win32codecs are for?

    TIA,
    AJG

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I seem to remember an application by the name of kscd that auto mounted a music cd and played it. Is kscd or something like it still available. Is there something like it for movies on dvd?

    TIA,
    AJG

Similar Threads

  1. Playing DVDs: YV12 & XVideo
    By asearle in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2005, 02:49 PM
  2. Playing dvds
    By jjman123 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-13-2004, 11:31 PM
  3. trouble playing dvd movie
    By appie1985 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-16-2004, 11:24 PM
  4. playing mpeg and other movie/video formats on knoppix
    By Atari911 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-20-2003, 11:29 PM
  5. not all dvds playing (solved)
    By jon267 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-19-2003, 01:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple IIgs 3.5” & 5.25” Floppy Disk Drives A9M0106 A9M0107 Untested picture

Vintage Apple IIgs 3.5” & 5.25” Floppy Disk Drives A9M0106 A9M0107 Untested

$115.00



Vintage Apple Design Keyboard Model M2980 Macintosh 1994 Untested picture

Vintage Apple Design Keyboard Model M2980 Macintosh 1994 Untested

$28.49



Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh LC M0350 Desktop No Harddrive No Power Supply - Parts picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh LC M0350 Desktop No Harddrive No Power Supply - Parts

$71.95



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB - M0001A W/ Keyboard, 2 Mice, 800K HD, + More picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB - M0001A W/ Keyboard, 2 Mice, 800K HD, + More

$300.00



Lot of 64 Apple II IIe IIc 5.25” Floppy Disk Games Software Utilities Vintage picture

Lot of 64 Apple II IIe IIc 5.25” Floppy Disk Games Software Utilities Vintage

$39.00



Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



5x Vintage Apple Macintosh II NuBus Cards 630-4179 NI GPIB DIO Asante Ethernet picture

5x Vintage Apple Macintosh II NuBus Cards 630-4179 NI GPIB DIO Asante Ethernet

$239.95



Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand

$275.00



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99