-
Serial Console when booting?
I have a system that has no video card, CDROM, or floppy drive. There is only some USB ports, an HDD, some network cards and a serial console redirection port on the front, and a COM port on the back. My goal is to boot knoppix to a prompt of some sort where I may mount an NFS share all while using the serial console.
Booting from USB, i'm able to change the syslinux.cfg as needed. This is my current append line in syslinux.cfg:
Code:
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etcinit lang=us apm=power-off console=tty0 console=ttyS1,9600 initrd=minirt.gz nomce loglevel=0 quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix blind
I really have no idea where to begin with this system. I've tried a couple of things on the append line that didn't work. Everytime I always get the same output:
Code:
SYSLINUX 3.51 2007-06-10 EBIOS Copyright (C) 1994-2007 H. Peter Anvin
Press keys F2 or F3 for help and boot options.
KNOPPIX V5.1.1-CD http://www.knoppix.de/ RELEASE: 2007-01-04
boot: userdef
Loading linux...................................
Loading minirt.gz.....................
Ready.
AT
I found an article here (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Headless_Knoppix) about a Headless Knoppix but it doesn't seem to help me as I don't have a floppy drive. Any ideas on where go from here?
-
agetty
I'm not sure where it is in the startup scripts but I've done this before in other distros. It was done using a program called agetty. I'm pretty sure it would be in the system some where. the problem will be configuring it in the strartup scripts and remastering. GOOD LUCK.
Similar Threads
-
By jimmi in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-31-2007, 12:12 PM
-
By markbox in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-18-2006, 04:31 AM
-
By wt8e7 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-30-2006, 08:52 AM
-
By Jordi in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-14-2005, 11:59 AM
-
By adammorley in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-08-2003, 08:15 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$225.00

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

Lot of 4 IBM 52Y4089 POWER7 CPU Processor Modules Server CPUs
$49.99