Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: General Knoppix install questions

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    8

    General Knoppix install questions

    I would like to install Knoppix on my laptop because it is the only Linux distro that recognises my ancient external network card ( here -scroll down to see pix). I tries puppy, etch, xubuntu,sidux, dreamlinux and DSL.
    I understand that there are 3 types of installation. Debian install seems to be the preferable option ,but will it keep my network configuration? that is the most important to me,
    Also as my laptop is old ( here) I would like to use icewm or XFCE , does that rule out a "knoppix install" (because I will be automatically logged into KDE)?

    What I want is:
    1. have internet access
    2. run XFCE or IceWM
    3. apt-get some programmes (most important SCIM- Chinese input)
    4. not interested in updates or the latest software
    5. don't mind doing some reading or terminal work but would rather click the mouse

    which install option would you recommend for my case ?
    thanks

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: General Knoppix install questions

    Quote Originally Posted by seshomaru samma
    I would like to install Knoppix on my laptop because it is the only Linux distro that recognises my ancient external network card..... I tries puppy, etch, xubuntu,sidux, dreamlinux and DSL.....

    which install option would you recommend for my case ?
    thanks
    What you didn't seem to try is Debian, the distro that Knoppix is based on. I would be shocked if Knoppix supported any NIC that wasn't also supported by Debian, and a real Debian install will give you a much more stable and reliable system, allow you to install just want you want or need, and more safely install other software.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177

    Re: General Knoppix install questions

    Quote Originally Posted by seshomaru samma
    I would like to install Knoppix on my laptop because it is the only Linux distro that recognises my ancient external network card ...
    Which version of Knoppix was it that recognised your network card ?
    I ask in case it was an 'ancient' Knoppix to suit an 'ancient' network card, because I found that Knoppix 3.7, for example, made a 'Debian-like' installation with fewer set-up problems than 5.1.1 .

    I recommend that you read this to be aware of the pitfalls : http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/HD_Insta...g_not_to_do_it
    (in the long run it would be better if you can identify and find the network card driver that you need, and install it into a proper Debian, e.g.your Etch, installation, if possible).

    Quote Originally Posted by seshomaru samma
    I understand that there are 3 types of installation. Debian install seems to be the preferable option ,but will it keep my network configuration? that is the most important to me, ...
    Your network card driver should be installed OK ; expect to have to run the network configuration utility (N.B. you would need to search the Forum for solutions to set-up problems. On my system for example, in 5.1.1 it would not work in DHCP mode and I had to enter the IP address manually - this would be *tedious* and probably impracticable if you will be connecting your laptop to different networks and having to ask the administrators for IP address allocation ! )
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...332&highlight=
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...322&highlight=
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...965&highlight=
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...868&highlight=
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...867&highlight=
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...656&highlight=
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...346&highlight=

    Quote Originally Posted by seshomaru samma
    ...Also as my laptop is old ... I would like to use icewm or XFCE , does that rule out a "knoppix install" (because I will be automatically logged into KDE)? ...
    In 5.1.1 you can use the boot-up cheatcode desktop=icewm


    Quote Originally Posted by seshomaru samma
    ...What I want is:...3. apt-get some programmes (most important SCIM- Chinese input)..
    Since Knoppix 5.1.1 was released, Debian etch was released as the new 'stable' version, so the meanings of 'stable' 'unstable' 'testing' and so on in the /etc/apt/sources.list file have changed.
    e.g. sarge, which was 'stable', is now 'oldstable'
    Currently etch is 'stable' , lenny is 'testing' and sid is 'unstable'
    (see the Debian website for full explanation; I recommend that you read there anyway).

    Save away your original /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/preferences files by renaming them.
    Create a new /etc/apt/sources.list file containing at least :
    Code:
    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ etch main non-free contrib
    deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
    (You can replace de by your country code to get a closer mirror - check the full address )

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    8
    What you didn't seem to try is Debian,
    I tried Debian etch. see my post here
    Which version of Knoppix was it that recognised your network card ?
    I tried several versions of Knoppix , all of them including the latest version (kernel 2.6.19) recognised my network card.

    Anyway , your information was very helpful. I tried the "Debian" install and it didnt remember my network card. But the "beginner" install did and now I got a running HD installed Knoppix. I commented out everything but 'stable' in the sources.list and everything seems to be working fine for now. Thank you for your help.

Similar Threads

  1. Some general questions
    By Wrincle in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-15-2004, 04:12 AM
  2. New to Knoppix some general questions
    By Quip Frok in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 12:37 AM
  3. general knoppix questions, new user
    By ishaim in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-27-2004, 06:56 AM
  4. Some general questions
    By Sebastian Mares in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 12:55 PM
  5. HDD Install great, Few general questions please?
    By jbrush in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 06:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory picture

MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory

$149.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



Crucial Laptop Ram 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CT16G4SFRA32A picture

Crucial Laptop Ram 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CT16G4SFRA32A

$119.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$43.00



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00