Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: NETGEAR WG311v3 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3

    NETGEAR WG311v3 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter

    I've heard getting wireless adapters to work with Linux can be a pain. I have a NETGEAR WG311v3 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter and I can't get it to work (Possibly because I don't know the method). I know it has something to do with ndiswrapper, and the Windows drivers, so could anyone help me out on how to go about getting this to work? I'm a Linux newbie, and I'd love to switch from Windows programming to Linux.. If I could only get online.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    Hi there,
    Jimbo has good instructions for debian :
    http://www.jimbo7.com/wiki/index.php...1v3_LINUX_WIKI

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for the fast response. I'll check it out

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    135
    Interested to know if it works as my understanding is that it has the marvell chipset which generally won't

    drb

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3

    Nope

    I didn't have any luck getting it to work. I followed the instructions exactly as posted. You would think a large company such as Linksys would have Linux drivers contained in the installation CD. I've asked around on IRC but everyone else said it was the Marvell chipset that was the problem too. It's not a big problem for me anymore. My 100ft Ethernet cord arrived in the mail a few days ago.

    I don't mean to get off topic, but Knoppix is great. I actually tried Ubuntu and Lindows (I was told those were great for the beginning Linux user) and found Knoppix to be much easier to use (and learn) than others. As a software engineer trained in Windows, the conversion from Windows to Linux programming was fairly simple (No more Winsocks!).

    I'm sure someone will figure it out eventually. It's only a matter of time. Hopefully Linksys will see this post and include Linux drivers in their next generation of wireless adapters. Who knows.

    Thanks for the help though.

    Sean

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    135
    Hi Sean

    I used the website below to choose a PCI wireless card - I went for an atheros chipset that madwifi would run. (A TP-Link WN651G).

    drb

    http://linux-wless.passys.nl/

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2
    Sean,
    This is how I got my WG511 to work. It may be close to your adapter.

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28328

    Jim

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204

    Re: Nope

    Quote Originally Posted by Seanp
    I didn't have any luck getting it to work. I followed the instructions exactly as posted. You would think a large company such as Linksys would have Linux drivers contained in the installation CD. I've asked around on IRC but everyone else said it was the Marvell chipset that was the problem too. It's not a big problem for me anymore. My 100ft Ethernet cord arrived in the mail a few days ago.

    I don't mean to get off topic, but Knoppix is great. I actually tried Ubuntu and Lindows (I was told those were great for the beginning Linux user) and found Knoppix to be much easier to use (and learn) than others. As a software engineer trained in Windows, the conversion from Windows to Linux programming was fairly simple (No more Winsocks!).

    I'm sure someone will figure it out eventually. It's only a matter of time. Hopefully Linksys will see this post and include Linux drivers in their next generation of wireless adapters. Who knows.

    Thanks for the help though.

    Sean
    Sean,

    Just wonder are you using the correct windows driver for your wireless card. I think Jimbo's instructions does not cover that part.

    Check it out on the following link

    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Network_FAQ

    See Q2, step 1. You will be able to get the wireless driver files that your current windows is using. Worth to do it a try.

    Good luck

    Rgds,
    Chip

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1

    Updated WG311V3 Driver

    Check this link
    http://sites.google.com/site/subtleg...or-linux-amd64

    It has a driver that works both for 32 and 64 bit linux installations.

Similar Threads

  1. Netgear USB LAN Adapter
    By johart in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-02-2006, 03:19 AM
  2. NETGEAR Router... Belkin Wireless adapter...
    By Chadsfunkin5 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-04-2005, 06:44 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2005, 04:35 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 06:46 PM
  5. probelms with netgear ma101 wireless usb-adapter
    By ballermann in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-26-2003, 09:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121 picture

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121

$69.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



SK hynix PC801 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 x4 Internal SSD HFS512GDE9X081N picture

SK hynix PC801 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 x4 Internal SSD HFS512GDE9X081N

$90.00



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC picture

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC

$115.00