-
knoppix 5.1.1 DVD on dell vostro 1000
I'd like to report my experience of knoppix 5.1.1 DVD(32bit) on dell vostro 1000(AMD 64 dual core, 2 G memory, ATI Express 1150 card, Dell mini wireless card). I copy all the stuff onto my harddriver and boot via grub. Every thing looks very well!!! Wireless connection is very reliablel with ndiswrapper and and broadcom driver.
The beryl windows manager refuses to start, reporting "without AIGLX support". Then I tried "XGL" model. I installed unbuntu's xserver-xgl package. The XGL starts OK, but when I start beryl and xterm, I only saw a white window against blue background. Beryl reports: "can't redirect <some numbers> to texture".
ATI claims the ATI Express 1150 has full OpenGL 2.0 support. So I guess the problem might be the driver, not the hardware. So I went to AMD's website to download ATI's proprietary driver(the 200 driver). I did several things to get the installer to run:
(1) rename the *.run.bin to *.run
(2) comment out the "rm temporary dir" line in the installer.sh
(3) invoke ati-installer.sh in the temporary dir with "ati-installer.sh <driver version number> --install".
The installer runs. But it says my /root directory only has 3M free space.(it needs 15M). I think that is natural for all knoppix right? I already have knoppix persistent image enabled(on which there are more than 150M free space). So if the installer ignores the disk space, it should be able to copy all required drivers onto the system.
As a last resort, I tried the "package" option. The installer made an redhat 5 rpm package for me.(it only needs 1M). Then I install the rpm package and initialize the xorg.conf file. X restarts. But later when I invoked "dpkg" to install XGL, i got segmentation fault. I suspect it's because of the new display driver because dpkg used to work pretty well. (the error is a memory null pointer from create_new_inode).
This is so far I can get,guys. Hopefully Knoppix 5.2 will be better.
Similar Threads
-
By ngservice in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-25-2006, 01:56 AM
-
By Patsy57 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-16-2005, 04:47 AM
-
By rozi in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 10-22-2004, 12:17 AM
-
By OneWindCat in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-28-2004, 05:04 PM
-
By achim in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-17-2003, 04:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99