Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How to copy files to USB drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3

    How to copy files to USB drive

    Hello.
    Help would be much appreciated.
    I did install windows XP in my computer.
    The windows XP did recognize drive C but did not recognize drive D , the drive in wich I had most of the data.

    2; I downloaded knoppix live CD
    Knoppix did recognize both drives.

    I got a USB flash drive and an La Cie hard external drive.

    Both drives work well with windows XP.
    Knoppix did recognize both drives.
    ?
    It does happen that with knoppix I cant write in the removable hard drive.
    When it comes to the flash usb drive I was able to write to it just once , with knoppix.

    After that I get the message drive is not writable.

    What can I do so that I will be able to save the contents of my hard drive D ?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5
    The hard drive is quite possibly NTFS formatted. Knoppix may be unable to write to it. But I think it should, the kernel NTFS driver has come on a long way. You just have to realise that it MIGHT hose everything.

    If you right-click the icons on the desktop, you may find an option 'enable read/write', or something similar. See if that works? Knoppix defaults to mounting internal drives read-only for safety, maybe it does the same to external.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3
    Thanks a lot for your advice.
    Actually as you did point out , there is a menu , if one does click in the drive.
    I enabled the option of writting in the drive.
    I already transfered to the removable media a couple of Gigabytes.
    Thank You for your help

Similar Threads

  1. Can't see USB hard drive to copy crashed HD files to
    By Maninafix in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-13-2007, 02:36 AM
  2. Copy files from NTFS drive to another drive
    By Kehart25 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-03-2006, 06:19 PM
  3. Copy file from hard drive to usb flash drive
    By PaulKraemer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 04:49 PM
  4. Copy files to my hard drive
    By _Larry_ in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 09:48 AM
  5. copy files from usb drive to hdd?
    By omega in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 07:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


G-Technology G-SPEED Shuttle XL 8-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID ENCLOSURE ONLY picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Shuttle XL 8-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID ENCLOSURE ONLY

$550.00



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



HP controller P3410-69003 NetRAID-1M SCSI 64-bit U160 32MB Cache (PCI) picture

HP controller P3410-69003 NetRAID-1M SCSI 64-bit U160 32MB Cache (PCI)

$359.00



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US picture

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US

$49.50



OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives

$149.95



BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller picture

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller

$714.99



Dell PowerVault MD3000i AMP01 Storage Array 4x Cad 2x PSUs No HDDs/Controllers picture

Dell PowerVault MD3000i AMP01 Storage Array 4x Cad 2x PSUs No HDDs/Controllers

$164.95