For whatever reason, the boot disk failed to mount the big image. Did you put it like C:\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX ?
Hello
I have an old Laptop and I want to install Knoppix on it but this laptop has no cdrom so I had to install DOS on it and I copied the Knoppix cdrom on the hard disk from the laptop.
I made a bootdisk and if I want to install Knoppix I get this kernel panic:
__________________________________________________ _________
Accessing KNOPPIX CDROM at /dev/hda1...cat: No FIle /KNOPPIX/etc/ld.so.cache
Setting paths...rm: not found
awk: not found
awk: not found
Total memory found: kB
expr: not found
expr: not found
mkdir: not found
Creating directories and symlinks on ramdisk...mkdir: not found
chown: not found
/linuxrc: cannot create /var/run/utmp: directory nonexistent
FAT: bogus logical sector size 12861
FAT: bogus logical sector size 12861
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:01
__________________________________________________ ______
So how can I solve this problem so that I can install knoppix on my laptop ?
greetigs
For whatever reason, the boot disk failed to mount the big image. Did you put it like C:\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX ?
yes, C:\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX\
Is this c:\knoppix_directory\knoppix_file or is the last KNOPPIX\ a directory if so then move the file to the first \KNOPPIX directory.Originally Posted by AnD
if I open the first directory c:\KNOPPIX\ I see then 5 directories (DEMOS,KNOPPIX,LINUXTAG,MAKINGOF,TALKS) and 4 files (autorun.bat,autorun.inf,cdrom.ico,index1.htm)
and if I open c:\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX\ I can see 27 files with a boot.img file in it.
You want the big Knoppix file (~692mb) in the c:\Knoppix\ directory.
OK, it works but how can I install it now on my hard disk ?
Why does Knoppix need 2 gigabyte or more, I have a hard dsik that's 1.4 giga so it will not work![]()
It needs that much space to install the files, when everything on the cd is uncompressed it is > 2GB. You could try KnoppixKDE though and change the FSMIN value in the knx-hdinstall script and use the modified script to install. IIRC when installed KnoppixKDE uses about 1.2 or 1.3GB so you should be able to install and have a /swap partition.Originally Posted by AnD

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR
$23.00
Intel SRF90 Xeon Gold 6248 2.50GHz 20 Core LGA 3647 Server CPU Processor
$55.99
Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99
Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$67.99
Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz Processor LGA 1151
$39.99
Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*
$32.99
INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG
$299.99
LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5
$768.00