-
Need help recovering files from EXT3 after NTFS reformat
Ok, I know the subject sounded strange so here is the problem.
Had 40 Gigs of data stored on an EXT3 partition. Needed to reinstall XP after it crashed, however I (being stupid for doing this at 3am so yes it's my fault) accidentally chose the EXT3 partition by accident (windows saw it as unformatted space just like the area I prepped for it so there were actually 2 unformatted area) and basically reformatted the drive as NTFS and windows started installing.
I stopped the installation after I realized what I did so basically the drive is there with the XP files, but what I need to find out is if there is a way to actually find the files that were there before the NTFS format. currently there is less than 500 megs of data on the drive after XP did it's initial install. So since I had almost 40 Gigs of data there, I'm hoping to recover at least some of it.
Does anyone know of a way of recovering data from from a drive that's been reformatted with a different file system???
I currently run Xandros 4.1 so I only have Linux installed and most of the file recovery programs I can find that say they will recovery data from EXT3 drives, even those reformatted with a different file system, only work if you have a native Windows installation available. Unfortunately, for some reason, Windows will not install anywhere on the main drive. I have reformatted that drive many times with NTFS, Fat32, etc...Windows will just not install. Xandros is on the 2nd drive working fine while windows was on Drive 1.
Any ideas will be most helpful,
Thank you,
CollectorX
Similar Threads
-
By Tostado in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-02-2005, 04:09 AM
-
By tkurine in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-08-2005, 04:42 PM
-
By Davidsa in forum General Support
Replies: 21
Last Post: 05-26-2004, 08:47 AM
-
By doktor in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-01-2003, 06:54 AM
-
By fussyoldfart in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-25-2003, 08:56 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99

acer swift air 14
$600.00

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4
$279.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98