Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: USB: "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry." Worka

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    2

    USB: "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry." Worka

    Dropping you to a (very limited) shell...
    Additional builtin commands available: cat, mount, umount, insmod, rmmod, lsmod.
    This is what I see on the screen. I have two questions:

    1. minux clearly sees the boot device, since it has gotten this far. Why then can't it see KNOPPIX? I have seen this message before from a CD. I reburned the CD, and the message went away. Now, I've bought Knoppix Hacks 2nd edition, and I've installed Knoppix on a USB using Hack #120. The BIOS finds it, and boots from it. It then reports "Scanning for USB/?Firewire devices ... Done." so it appears to find the USB. Nevertheless, it doesn't find the KNOPPIX file system. How can I get it to find the filesystem? It is now on read-write media, so I can edit files, as necessary.

    2. What can I do in this "(very limited) shell"? I have found that ls and mkdir are not available; therefore, I cannot even determine what file structure is present, and I cannot create a mount point. I know the correct device (from a running live CD) is /dev/sdc1. Where can I mount it, and what command can I execute to continue the bootup after mounting it?

    Thanks!

    P.S. A search on "shell" does not bring up anything relevant, and I haven't seen anything in the FAQs, the KNOPPIX Pocket Reference, or KNOPPIX Hacks that mentions what to do when this error message is displayed.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    2
    That was "Workaround." Apparently, the title was too long for this BB software.

    I have 3 different BIOSes in 3 computers: (1) American Megatrends (c) 1999 AMIBIOS v 1.22, (2) American Megatrends (c) 2004 v02.58 BIOS and (3) Award Software (c) 2004 v 6.00PG BIOS. For Knoppix 5.1.1, the procedure described in Hack # 120 does not work for any of them. Going to http://syslinux.zytor.com/, and applying ".../win32/syslinux -am" to the USB flash drive after performing the hack, produces a drive that is bootable in only the Award Software BIOS. Adding the "s" option to "am" produces a USB drive that still works in only the one computer, and boots more slowly.

    My conclusions are: (A) The hack, which presumably worked in an earlier version of Knoppix, is now broken; and (B) even when the latest version (3.54) of Syslinux is used, the ability to boot off a USB flash drive is so BIOS-dependent, that it is likely to be of limited utility.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pescara
    Posts
    2

    The "can't find knoppix filesystem, sorry" message

    Hi, and sorry for my english.
    I've waited to try the Knoppix release 5.3.1 before to decide to write this POST!!!
    It seems that a very strange bug/issue is present into all the 5.x.x releases: if the boot optical drive is a SCSI device (but I presume this is valid for almost EVERY NOT IDE boot devices), during the initialization I receive the following error message: "can't find knoppix filesystem, sorry".
    This happens even choosing the no hardware detection and/or the expert option. Sequentially, I can see: the searching for USB/Firewire devices, the DMA activation (if enabled) for the IDE devices and, finally, the HDD and Optical Devices enumeration. Quickly after this last operation, the aforesaid error message appears.
    This happens ONLY when I select a SCSI optical device to load Knoppix: my PC1 starts Knoppix 5.x.x without any trouble when I boot Knoppix from an IDE device. I must to say moreover that both the test's machines run Knoppix 4.x.x without issues (but this old release don't recognise the SATA ICH9 and/or the Jmicron IDE CTRLs).
    I can suppose that The Knoppix kernel makes, after the mass storage's detection, some kind of device re-enumeration and this operation changes arbitrarly the optical device logical position. After this, Knoppix becomes unable to find again the CD/DVD source.

    Below, the test's machines:

    PC1 - P4 3.0GHz on Intel D865PERL MB
    1.5Gb ram DDR 400
    ATI Radeon 9800 AGP
    Intel IDE CTRL ICH6 (OnBoard)
    IDE DVD-RW Samsung
    IDE DVD-RW LG
    IDE Maxtor 320Gb P-ATA
    Adaptec SCSI CTRL 29160
    SCSI HDD 35Gb IBM Deskstar
    SCSI CD-RW Yamaha
    SCSI CD-Rom Toshiba
    Qtec IDE Raid CTRL 320R
    IDE HDD Maxtor 20Gb (Backup Unit)
    LAN 1Gbit Chipset DP83820


    PC2 - Core 2 Duo E6300 on Asus P5K
    2Gb ram DDR2 800+
    ATI Radeon HD2600 XT PCI-e
    Jmicron IDE CTRL (OnBoard)
    IDE Maxtor 320Gb P-ATA
    IDE Maxtor 120Gb P-ATA
    Adaptec SCSI CTRL 29160
    SCSI HDD 35Gb IBM Deskstar
    SCSI DVD-Rom Pioneer
    SCSI CD-RW Plextor
    SCSI CD-Rom Plextor
    LAN 1Gbit Chipset Attansic L1 (OnBoard)

Similar Threads

  1. Fehlermeldung "Can't find Knoppix filesystem ..."
    By thomania in forum German Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-21-2009, 10:14 PM
  2. "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry" - Acer Aspi
    By ngc in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2008, 12:37 PM
  3. Booting problem: "Can't find Knoppix filesystem"
    By yosibeck in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-26-2005, 08:26 PM
  4. "cant find knoppix filesystem" error
    By redss in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-26-2005, 05:11 AM
  5. "Can't find Knoppix filesystem." ... "limited
    By lothario in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-06-2005, 08:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED picture

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED

$2999.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



StarTech AOC Breakout Cable for Cisco QSFP-4X10G-AOC7M - 7m 40G 1x QSFP+ to 4x picture

StarTech AOC Breakout Cable for Cisco QSFP-4X10G-AOC7M - 7m 40G 1x QSFP+ to 4x

$706.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$240.00



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver picture

Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver

$79.89