Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Boot Issue

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    23

    Boot Issue

    I want to first say thanks for a great newbie Linux, but after trying it from the CD, I wanted to put it on my HD. Everything installed I thought and would start at reboot no problem, Worng!!!! when it start to load at Reboot, it stopped at "kernel panic-VFS Unable to mount root fs on 03:42 and I could use my keyboard. If anyone knows how to fix this. I would apperciate the help. I am still a newbie to linux

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    23

    Never mind, I fixed it

    After a full day of setting this up, Finally got it now to get all my preefials out and see if I can get the full use of this OS
    Thank you

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Never mind, I fixed it

    Quote Originally Posted by Cronos55
    After a full day of setting this up, Finally got it now to get all my preefials out and see if I can get the full use of this OS
    Thank you
    Perhaps you could provide some details on how you got it set up?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2
    I had the same problem recently and actually it was due to the fact that my harddisk filesystem was ntfs and I had not included it in the kernel.
    So to resolve the problem you just have to boot from the cdrom,

    mount hdax /mnt/hdax (where hdax is your partition containing knoppix)
    chroot /mnt/hdax (to go on your system)

    and rebuild your kernel properly (in the filsystem options check the right box= ntfs, ext2fs, ext3fs.......)

    and that's it!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2
    Here is what I've found on ibiblio.org. It might be the solution to this problem??

    Some Boards apparently don't pass the proper memory size to the
    linux-kernel. It may cause the message "Panic: cannot mount root file
    system" and the system hangs. Use "knoppix mem=128M" to solve that
    problem if your system has 128MByte memory for example (caution:
    you MUST use a capital "M" here).

Similar Threads

  1. MBR issue
    By elqueso in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 01:14 AM
  2. Knoppix/Win2k Dual Boot Issue
    By saberworks in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 11:55 PM
  3. Boot issue: undefined mode number
    By knoppixbill in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 01:00 AM
  4. apt-get issue
    By albertfuller in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2003, 12:45 AM
  5. /boot issue
    By deftblake in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-22-2003, 12:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.62