Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: New to linux, very claustrophobic

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    2

    New to linux, very claustrophobic

    I aquired a knoppix 5.0.1 cd from a friend about a week ago. I managed to install it onto an 850mhz/256ram/32mbvid/5.5Ghdd that was just sitting around. I chose the debian installation instead of the other two options.

    I've been using a mswindows environment for the past 16 years and have grown accustomed to being able to change what I want, when I want and how I want(through a GUI).

    I am interested in learning linux but my main issue with the above mentioned debian installation is everything is command line based for the root. I've read that in previous versions, root login to the GUI was allowed and thus all those nice graphical windows and point-n-click tools were available(midnight commander reminds me of editing autoexec.bat files in the DOS shell).

    All I really want to do is be able to log in to the GUI as root so I can explore the depths of linux unrestricted by sudo(which i can't get to work in my normal account..in fact, I can't do jack in the normal account), command lines and the inability to write files to my 2.1Gig partition(I have 98mb on the root partition available to my user login).

    So, remembering that:
    1. I'm totally new to linux(1 week);
    2. I have no privileged access with my user account(can only write to the /home/user, can't access the cd rom, su/sudo
    doesn't work since the user isn't in the sudoers file...etc.);
    3. I'm allergic to shell text editors that don't show thier commands(esc + : .....then what? q! @%*$&#)
    4. I did manage to get the ethernet card working through root;
    5. I'm stuck at 640x480 resolution;
    6. I managed to install the beast to hdd using the graphical knoppix installer(the shell one didn't like me); and lastly
    7. I don't *need* to learn linux but would *like* to.

    I need to find a way to log in to the GUI as root so I can explore the heck out of linux, otherwise I have to figure out how to get my 12 hours back.


    Thanks,

    Manny

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    159
    I think you need to edit /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc, and toggle the line that says "AllowRootLogin=false" to true. Of course you'll have to sudo to do this

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    From the KDM login screen choose "console login" then login as root and type "startx" once logged in.

    HTH

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    2
    Great help rusty! That easily allowed me to do what I wanted and what Kirol suggested.

    I think I managed to add my User account to the sudoers file but I have yet to test logging in again as I'm trying to figure out the XF86Config, specifically, where to put "800x600" for my screen resolution.

    I had tried putting it in all the places it said "default"(under each color mode's field) but that proved to be a no-go. I would just go in through the control center>peripherals>monitor but the highest resolution listed is "640x480". Running the knoppix live cd with the "screen=800x600" command gives me a nice and "spacious" desktop to work on so I know 800x600 is supported by the monitor/gpu/driver.

    Can anyone glean a little info about the proper location to set available screen resolutions within the XF86Config file? I'd really love to see the buttons at the bottoms of non-resizable boxes.

    Thanks!

    Manny

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by u82manny
    Running the knoppix live cd with the "screen=800x600" command gives me a nice and "spacious" desktop to work on so I know 800x600 is supported by the monitor/gpu/driver.
    While in live mode, you can switch to a text-mode console by pressing (say) <Alt><F1>, then "cd /etc/X11", and copy the config file (either xorg.conf or possibly still XF86Config-4 for knoppix 5.0.1, I don't recall). The "copying to HD" part is left as an exercise You can switch back to the GUI with <Alt><F5>

    The debian way would be "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", but again your version of knoppix may predate xorg. If knoppix made you curious and re-assured you about your HW being supported, you should consider a distribution which is actually meant to be HD-installed (e.g. debian stable, mepis or sidux...). Having said that, knoppix is real fine for learning, just not very robust for long-term maintenance...

Similar Threads

  1. choosing the right linux dist (linux first time user)
    By blokk.m in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-01-2009, 03:17 AM
  2. Free World Linux, can you help bring Linux to the poor..
    By skitzojase in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-06-2006, 07:56 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-14-2005, 08:36 AM
  4. Able to dual boot XP and linux but Linux goes to GRUB, help
    By istoleapig in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2005, 09:28 AM
  5. Dizinha Linux, New project for "Small" Linux
    By Lame_Duck in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 05:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$225.00



Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections

$68.00



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99