Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Recognizing thumbdrive....

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7

    Recognizing thumbdrive....

    Hey all..

    Ok I've got a small issue with Untangle recognizing my thumbdrive.. which yes I know this is a Knoppix board, however from all that I can see in the console, it's running on a form of Knoppix at least. And just so you know my knowledge of Linux is limited so excuse me if my questions seems noobish.

    Anyway how can I see/check/verify whether or not my distro is recognizing my thumbdrive?

    Below is my entire contents of "lspci -v"
    Any help is appreciated...


    / # lspci -v [root @ untangle]
    0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE/PE DRAM Controll er/Host-Hub Interface (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc: Unknown device 3680
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    Capabilities: [e4] #09 [4105]

    0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Ch ipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc: Unknown device 3680
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
    Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    Memory at e8300000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
    Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 1

    0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) US B UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc: Unknown device 3680
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
    I/O ports at b800 [size=32]

    0000:00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) US B UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc: Unknown device 3680
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
    I/O ports at b000 [size=32]

    0000:00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) US B UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc: Unknown device 3680
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
    I/O ports at b400 [size=32]

    0000:00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB 2.0 EHCI Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
    Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc: Unknown device 3680
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
    Memory at e8380000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2

    0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 82) (prog-if 00 [Norm al decode])
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=32
    I/O behind bridge: 0000a000-0000afff
    Memory behind bridge: e8000000-e82fffff
    Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 80000000-800fffff

    0000:00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) LPC Bridge (rev 0 2)
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0

    0000:00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) UltraATA-100 I DE Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
    Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc: Unknown device 3680
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
    I/O ports at <ignored>
    I/O ports at <ignored>
    I/O ports at <ignored>
    I/O ports at <ignored>
    I/O ports at cc00 [size=16]
    Memory at e8381000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]

    0000:00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Contr oller (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc: Unknown device 3680
    Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 12
    I/O ports at 0500 [size=32]

    0000:01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100] (rev 0
    Subsystem: Intel Corp. EtherExpress PRO/100+ Management Adapter
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 20
    Memory at e8240000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    I/O ports at a000 [size=64]
    Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
    Expansion ROM at 80000000 [disabled] [size=1M]
    Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

    0000:01:05.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controlle r (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 004e
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 21
    Memory at e8200000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
    I/O ports at a400 [size=64]
    Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
    Capabilities: [e4] PCI-X non-bridge device.
    Capabilities: [f0] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable -

    0000:01:06.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controlle r (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 004e
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 17
    Memory at e8220000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
    I/O ports at a800 [size=64]
    Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
    Capabilities: [e4] PCI-X non-bridge device.
    Capabilities: [f0] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable -

    / # [root @ untangle]

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    lspci lists the devices on your pci bus, lsusb lists those found on the usb .

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7
    Ahhh thank you very much.. I had posted those lspci results since the topic subject field said to. I will get the lsusb results later today. TY

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7
    Wow... ok well when I try "lsusb" i get a command not found... shouldnt that just be part of the distro? Or could i apt-get something to add it?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Hmm, what version of Knoppix ? I'm using 5.1 and the output of lsusb is, in this case:

    Code:
    knoppix@Knoppix:~$ lsusb
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 03f0:2f11 Hewlett-Packard
    Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0572:1280 Conexant Systems (Rockwell), Inc.
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    You might also be able to see something in Kinfocenter: K->System->Kinfocenter and click on USB Devices.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7
    well that would be an excellent question.. what cmd is it to show the version(s)?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Look at the splash when you boot up the cd , the version number usually is displayed.

    Alternatively, the output of : uname -r (from a shell) , will give you the kernel that is in use, and that might help.

    How did you aquire the Knoppix your using?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    try
    Code:
    sudo lsusb

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty
    Look at the splash when you boot up the cd , the version number usually is displayed.

    Alternatively, the output of : uname -r (from a shell) , will give you the kernel that is in use, and that might help.

    How did you aquire the Knoppix your using?
    As indicated above, this is a "hardened Knoppix distro" that's running Untangle.. (www.untangle.com) I came here with this question because I couldn't find any help on their forums, and being that this is obviously an OS level issue that I needed help working around, I figured this was the best place to come to. From all evidence I've read there, this is either Knoppix or Debian. But I wouldn't think the two would be totally different with regards to either simple commands or even config files. However I've been wrong before...

    Ok so uname -r returns with:
    / # uname -r [root @ untangle]
    2.6.16-ck11-untangle-cd-486
    / #

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    I missed the Untangle part, sorry.

    It's possible that Untangle does not contain drivers, utilities etc. for USB. If you can't get an answer to the problem from Untangle's forums, we probably can't help much here.

    Without getting into the technical issues here, it might be worthwhile for you to consider downloading a livecd linux distro (Knoppix itself of course, but there a others).

    A couple of links:

    http://distrowatch.com/

    http://packages.debian.org/unstable/utils/usbutils

    Regards...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. USB thumbdrive boot with EXTLINUX
    By Krellan2 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-23-2006, 11:07 PM
  2. Thumbdrive help
    By fidofido in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2005, 08:09 PM
  3. Cannot see my thumbdrive
    By gdog in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-13-2004, 05:18 AM
  4. Cannot mount my thumbdrive!!
    By knopphead in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 08:32 AM
  5. Trek USB Thumbdrive
    By smbenton in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-04-2003, 01:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99



B85M-G Motherboard Intel Core i7-4770 CPU LGA1150 mATX 4 DIMM IO Shield picture

B85M-G Motherboard Intel Core i7-4770 CPU LGA1150 mATX 4 DIMM IO Shield

$75.96