Hi guys,
I'm totally new to linux - not for long I hope
my 5.0 CD used to work on a desktop, but on the notebook it hangs on:
PCMCIA found, starting cardmgr
I'm not sure what kind of info you need, so be patient![]()
thanks for any input
Marcello
Hi guys,
I'm totally new to linux - not for long I hope
my 5.0 CD used to work on a desktop, but on the notebook it hangs on:
PCMCIA found, starting cardmgr
I'm not sure what kind of info you need, so be patient![]()
thanks for any input
Marcello
There is no officially release Internet version called 5.0. The newest is 5.1.1. There was a 5.0.1. Knowing what you really have might help (but quite frankly it likely doesn't make much difference).
My first guess is that you likely burnt the CD at high speed, or didn't check the md5 checksum before burning, or worse yet bought it from one of those crooks on the electronic bay of thieves. But if these guesses are wrong and you confirmed the md5 checksum and burnt the disc at low speed, then you might have a hardware conflict and need to find the right cheatcodes to help get past the hardware detection phase. See the cheatcodes section of the wiki, or the cheatcodes.txt file that you got with your download. Try typing knoppix failsafe at the boot prompt to avoid most hardware detection (you will not be happy running Knoppix in this mode, but it will let you see if you can boot past a hardware detection problem).
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Hi, I tried the failsafe option and it does boot although I don't even have the touchpad... the version is 5.0.1 in fact and if I well recall I made sure that the cd was created al low speed... I tried to downlod 5.1.1 but it times out on me, I'll keep trying.Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
Could you guess what is the hardware I should skip considering that it freezes on the
"PCMCIA found, starting cardmgr" line?
.. and one more thing: I'm not sure about the exact synthax to type after the F3 option at the no{scsi|pcmci....}
thanks much
yup, don't have a network connection either. Told you that you wouldn't like it. But at least you know the CD can boot into KnoppixOriginally Posted by marcelloz
If you want 5.11 then I strongly suggest using BitTorrent. See the Get Knoppix link at the top of this page. BitTorrent, when properly set up, will address several problems including timeouts, slow downloads, and corrupt downloads.Originally Posted by marcelloz
Looks like someone is too lazy to read the cheatcodes documentation that I pointed you to in my last post, otherwise you would have seen that there is a nopcmcia code. Of course, I can't be sure that this is where the failure is happening and not in the next step of hardware detection, but you could have found this faster by reading the documentation than by asking and waiting again for a response.Originally Posted by marcelloz
no, not that lazy, I did try that, I just didn't explain myself in the post (I'n new to Linux, not to... life)
it still hangs with the nopcmcia option on
"starting udev hot-plug hardware detection...";
since I need usb, I'll keep reading... and I'll try 5.1.1, you'll never know...
anyway, I was just able to make it boot disabling agp, audio, scsi and pcmcia... I'll work to point out the "guilty" line
I hope can save the boot config on a usb pen
thanks again
Marcello
Well, another trick that I sometimes try is the expert mode, and take notes as each question is answered. Then, when it hangs, go back and try expert again answering the last question differently. However, I have at times found that I needed a combination of codes to get a Knoppix disc to boot properly, in my case I needed knoppix noscsi acpi=off but other systems may need other combinations. Sometimes it just takes trial and error.
There is, of course, a small chance that if you post your make and model number, or motherboard model number, someone else with the same system may already know what you need and might post it.
ok it seems like we nailed it
using expert I found out that it boots fine with nopcmcia acpi=off - no big deal for my intended use
we'll see if 5.1.1 makes it easier
Marcello
I still have to use the nopcmcia acpi=off boot options but the system starts definitely faster and does not hang on shutdown as 5.0.1 did
next step: I have an unused 2gb usb pen drive which I want to use to boot knoppix from...
Marcello

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98
Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00
1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50
Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$369.59
USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75
Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB
$124.95
Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC
$4.95
Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55