Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knopix 5.1 Live with Netgear WG511 v2 Wireless PC Card

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2

    Knopix 5.1 Live with Netgear WG511 v2 Wireless PC Card

    Knopix 5.1 Live with Netgear WG511 v2 Wireless PC Card Netgear wireless Router using WPA-PSK security.

    I have a Compaq Persario 2100 Laptop and I finally got Knopix 5.1 live running wireless.
    Here's how I did it.


    First off it booted and connected to the internet thru my router when connected via the internal ethernet adapter. (Wired)
    Next I tried wireless,( I disconnected the ethernet cable and plugged in the PC Card)
    Booted from the same Knoppix 5.1 CD and it didnot connect, no lights on the PC card, no connection to the Internet.

    After reading many forum entried the following is the setup that worked for me.

    I used a USB 1GB memry stick to hold the drivers and config files.
    I didn't want to wipe out my windows XP hard drive yet. I'm still evaluating linux.

    Under windows I copied the drivers from the WinXP directory on the Netgear setup CD to the USB Memory Stick.

    WG511v2.sys
    WG511v2.INF
    WG511v2.cat

    I also created 2 other files.
    A batch file to run all of my setup commands, and a config file for the program wpa_supplicant

    startw (Batch file) It's contents follow.

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ndiswrapper -i /mnt/*.INF
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    wpa_supplicant -Bw -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/mnt/wpa_supplicant.conf
    pump -i wlan0
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    wpa_supplicant.conf (Config file for the program wpa_supplicant)

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    network={
    ssid="OURHOUSE"
    psk="12345678"
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    proto=WPA
    pairwise=CCMP TKIP
    }
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Put your networks SSID where OURHOUSE is.
    Put your WPA-PSK passphrase where 12345678 is.

    This is how I run the setup.

    After Knoppix 5.1 boots with the memory stick and the Netgear PC Card installed.

    Open a console window.

    Enter the following at the command prompt.

    su
    mount -t auto /dev/sda1 /mnt
    /mnt/startw

    Good Luck

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4

    wireless card without hard drive - no problems

    These are the steps I follow every time I boot up with ver 5.1.

    Click on Knoppix applications, then
    Network/internet
    Network Card configuration
    Wireless (ath0)
    OK for each possibile entry (without entering anything) through all questions-nice and fast)
    with last OK at "Obtain address automatically"
    and your green lights should start flashing.

    Once in a while this might fail so just trying again has worked with me and my Netgear card and old Dell C600 without hard drive)

    I hope this helps and have a great Holiday![/i]

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix on Amilo D CY-26 and Netgear WG511 PCMCIA
    By shodanjr_gr in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-27-2006, 10:59 AM
  2. Knoppix 3.6 Netgear WG511 Problem
    By eizo in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 02:52 PM
  3. Netgear MA111 (Wireless USB card) PLEASE HELP
    By andymadigan in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-07-2004, 11:39 PM
  4. Netgear WG511
    By :-) in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 02:04 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-13-2003, 12:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98