-
Knopix 5.1 Live with Netgear WG511 v2 Wireless PC Card
Knopix 5.1 Live with Netgear WG511 v2 Wireless PC Card Netgear wireless Router using WPA-PSK security.
I have a Compaq Persario 2100 Laptop and I finally got Knopix 5.1 live running wireless.
Here's how I did it.
First off it booted and connected to the internet thru my router when connected via the internal ethernet adapter. (Wired)
Next I tried wireless,( I disconnected the ethernet cable and plugged in the PC Card)
Booted from the same Knoppix 5.1 CD and it didnot connect, no lights on the PC card, no connection to the Internet.
After reading many forum entried the following is the setup that worked for me.
I used a USB 1GB memry stick to hold the drivers and config files.
I didn't want to wipe out my windows XP hard drive yet. I'm still evaluating linux.
Under windows I copied the drivers from the WinXP directory on the Netgear setup CD to the USB Memory Stick.
WG511v2.sys
WG511v2.INF
WG511v2.cat
I also created 2 other files.
A batch file to run all of my setup commands, and a config file for the program wpa_supplicant
startw (Batch file) It's contents follow.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ndiswrapper -i /mnt/*.INF
modprobe ndiswrapper
wpa_supplicant -Bw -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/mnt/wpa_supplicant.conf
pump -i wlan0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
wpa_supplicant.conf (Config file for the program wpa_supplicant)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
network={
ssid="OURHOUSE"
psk="12345678"
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
proto=WPA
pairwise=CCMP TKIP
}
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Put your networks SSID where OURHOUSE is.
Put your WPA-PSK passphrase where 12345678 is.
This is how I run the setup.
After Knoppix 5.1 boots with the memory stick and the Netgear PC Card installed.
Open a console window.
Enter the following at the command prompt.
su
mount -t auto /dev/sda1 /mnt
/mnt/startw
Good Luck
Similar Threads
-
By shodanjr_gr in forum Laptops
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-27-2006, 10:59 AM
-
By eizo in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-20-2004, 02:52 PM
-
By andymadigan in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-07-2004, 11:39 PM
-
By :-) in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-09-2004, 02:04 PM
-
By manjo in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-13-2003, 12:20 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$334.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo Thinkbook 14s Yoga ITL 14” Core i7-1165G7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Touch
$379.00

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 1 i5-10310U 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$222.99

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...
$679.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$249.99