Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: problems with apt-get

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3

    problems with apt-get

    Hi,

    I have problems after hdd installation (koppix v3.2):
    I tried to install the debian packet "everybuddy 0.2.1beta6-2".
    Then I got the error:

    root@brainstorm:/home/knoppix# apt-get install /home/knoppix/everybuddy_0.2.1beta6-2_i386.deb
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    W: Couldn't stat source package list http://people.debian.org sid/i386/ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/people.debian.org_%7ebranden_sid_i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
    W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
    E: Couldn't find package
    root@brainstorm:/home/knoppix#

    Then I tried following things:
    root@brainstorm:/home/knoppix# apt-get update
    ...
    Failed to fetch http://people.debian.org/~branden/sid/i386/Packages 404 Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://people.debian.org/~branden/sid/source/Sources 404 Not Found
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    W: Couldn't stat source package list http://people.debian.org sid/i386/ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/people.debian.org_%7ebranden_sid_i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
    W: Couldn't stat source package list http://people.debian.org sid/i386/ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/people.debian.org_%7ebranden_sid_i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
    W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
    E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

    I found this in /etc/apt/source.list:
    # XFree 4.2/4.3
    deb http://people.debian.org/~branden sid/i386/
    deb-src http://people.debian.org/~branden sid/source/
    deb http://www.penguinppc.org/~daniels/sid/i386 ./
    deb-src http://www.penguinppc.org/~daniels/sid/source ./

    Hm what can I do?

    I'd be very happy if anybody could help me.

    peter

    PS: I'm sorry for my bad English.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    They moved the branden packages try:

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3
    jeep,

    you're right. The paths were false.
    But now there still are another errors:
    root@brainstorm:/home/knoppix# ls
    dcc Desktop everybuddy_0.2.1beta6-2_i386.deb GNUstep office tmp
    root@brainstorm:/home/knoppix# apt-get install everybuddy_0.2.1beta6-2_i386.deb
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    E: Couldn't find package everybuddy_0.2.1beta6-2_i386.deb
    root@brainstorm:/home/knoppix#
    What's now wrong? I can't check this ...

    Am i blind? I can't find the error. I hope anyone can help me.

    peter

    PS: I'm sorry, but I'm a really linux rookie

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by peter.bauer
    jeep,

    you're right. The paths were false.
    But now there still are another errors:
    root@brainstorm:/home/knoppix# ls
    dcc Desktop everybuddy_0.2.1beta6-2_i386.deb GNUstep office tmp
    root@brainstorm:/home/knoppix# apt-get install everybuddy_0.2.1beta6-2_i386.deb
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    E: Couldn't find package everybuddy_0.2.1beta6-2_i386.deb
    root@brainstorm:/home/knoppix#
    What's now wrong? I can't check this ...

    Am i blind? I can't find the error. I hope anyone can help me.

    peter

    PS: I'm sorry, but I'm a really linux rookie
    You are trying to install the stable package with apt-get Here's what apt-cache policy says about the package on my machine:
    Code:
    [05:30 PM Fri May 30: root @ /home/stephen]
    ># acp everybuddy
    everybuddy:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 0.4.3-1
      Version Table:
         0.4.3-1 0
            990 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing/main Packages
            500 http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable/main Packages
         0.2.1beta6-2 0
            500 http://ftp.de.debian.org stable/main Packages
    you should be trying to install version 0.4.3-1 the latest version unless there is some reason you need the older version.

    Code:
    root@brainstorm:/home/knoppix#apt-get -s install everybuddy/unstable
    this simulates the install so you can see what apt is going to do if you are happy with what it will do remove the -s to install. Also I notice you have the .deb for the .2 in your directory if you were trying to install this then you should use dpkg

    Code:
    root@brainstorm:/home/knoppix# dpkg -i everybuddy_0.2.1beta6-2_i386.deb

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3
    Hi,
    you really helped me a lot. Thanks.
    Now it works
    I didn't get that I have to use dpkg if the file is already on hdd.
    apt-get only installs the new one, but if that doesn't matter, everything is ok. I was only unsure because it was titled with unstable.
    Well thanks again that you helped a really linux rookie like me.

    peter

    PS: I'm sorry for my bad English

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by peter.bauer
    Hi,
    you really helped me a lot. Thanks.
    Now it works
    I didn't get that I have to use dpkg if the file is already on hdd.
    apt-get only installs the new one, but if that doesn't matter, everything is ok. I was only unsure because it was titled with unstable.
    Well thanks again that you helped a really linux rookie like me.

    peter

    PS: I'm sorry for my bad English
    Your welcome if your interested in learning more about apt here is an apt how-to. Apt can take a little getting used to but it works quite well once you understand it. Also you could have tried to install any version eg. apt-get install everybuddy/stable would have installed the stable version you don't have to take the newest version. And don't be afraid of the "unstable" label on the packages Debian unstable is better than the stable version of most other distributions.

    Your english was certainly readable to me. Good luck.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix Problems or Hardware Problems
    By mindmeddler2003 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 07:29 PM
  2. ideq 200s problems and more problems
    By lesshaste in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 05:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99