Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: cant delete desktop icons

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    37

    cant delete desktop icons

    Hi
    I have several icons on my desktop that I dont need but cant delete. when I try to move them to another folder I get the "feature only avalible with hal"
    error.

    They are all related to the cd rom. I have recreated them in the apropriate folders so I dont need them on my desktop anymore.

    I have navigated to the /home/"current user"/desktop and they dont appear

    can anyone tell me how to get rid of them?

    thanks pboodi

  2. #2
    bump, i have the same problem


    any one know the answer?

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    37
    I have made some changes and now I can delete them, but they come back when I restart. Only the hard drive and flopy icons appear now.

    any suggestions apriciated

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    37
    Can Anyone tell me why these icons reappear on restart after I have deleted them?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    104
    The icons are auto-generated at boot time during the fstab scan.

    Most of them should go away if you boot with this cheatcode:

    knoppix nofstab

    Or you can create a simple shell script to delete them after bootup. A shell script is similar to an old MS-DOS batch file and can be used to automate manual tasks.

    Search google for the Advanced BASH scripting guide for more detailed help.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    37
    cbagger01

    Thank you id been waiting since December for an answer

    your response was helpful


    Props for answering

Similar Threads

  1. Help, desktop without icons!
    By Pacas in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-27-2008, 09:51 AM
  2. [please delete] changing KDE look - kicker icons
    By bm-w in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2006, 08:19 AM
  3. desktop icons
    By michael7 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2005, 05:26 AM
  4. KDE Icons won't delete.
    By FelixDzerzhinsky in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-13-2004, 10:57 PM
  5. Where do the desktop icons go?
    By skyconcert in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-20-2002, 05:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$125.00



RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day picture

RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day

$188.24



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00