Quote Originally Posted by archimedes1981
well for the time being, what i can tell you is that the eth0 is not detected at all before i do netcardconfig. It just gives me 'lo' IPs and settings, but i think that has nothing to do with my problem right?
I really don't know what is going on here. You haven't told us what NIC you have. But I would expect that Knoppix must have a driver for it, or else you would not have gotten it to work at all, even after a Netcardconfig. So I would normally expect that it would be properly configured BY DHCP. And in fact you seem to have said that it was being configured by DHCP, but the gateway address was, for some very mysterious reason, incorrect. If that it not what happened then please restate how that bad gateway address got there; if it was configured by DHCP then I don't know why you are now saying that eth0 was not detected before the netcardconfig. I have seen one router that didn't properly do a DHCP configuration with Knoppix even though it did DHCP handshake with Windows (an old 802-11b Belkin), so it certainly can happen that a router doesn't DHCP handshake properly and cause a problem, but so far I don't have enough information to say if that is happening in this case, or even if you equipment is trying to do a DHCP handshake.


Quote Originally Posted by archimedes1981
....Btw my hard drives (as probably you may have assumed) are formatted as NTFS, which as advised by most linux distros i have, is not fully compatible with linux but just experimental.
Knoppix can read NTFS partitions just fine and can work fine on systems with them or even on systems with no hard disk at all. Writing data to NTFS partitions has been a problem for Linux that has had many bad results. Frequently when someone managed to do it at all the partition would become corrupted. Sometimes this was immidately evident, sometimes it would fester for a while and come back to haunt you later. Some previous attempts to write to NTFS were removed from Knoppix because they had been abandoned. The claim was made with version 5.x that in some cases you could now write to NTFS. That "in some cases" qualification scarred the heck out of me, and I decided not to risk my hard disk to it. And I don't think there is a good reason for others to risk it either. I've seen a few people post that they were able to get it to work, but never with any detailed technical data or history of use of the drive that would convince me that it presented long term safety for the partition. And even then I'm not convinced that Microsoft, sworn emeny of Linux, might not do something in a "security update" that might deliberately destroy the partition if they detect that it was written to by Linux in the future. Heck, we see plenty of reports that NTFS has been corrupted by XP itself, that's what brings many people tio Knoppix looking for data recovery, and now there are reports that Microsoft acknowledges it's own software can't write to NTFS safely, so why expect Knoppix to be able to do so? If you want to risk your data to NTFS partitions and Knoppix, be my guest, but I'll not do it nor advise others to risk their data.