-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
JIMR122783J
...ifconfig output:
IP Address: 148.78.40.50
Gateway: 148.78.40.51
Server: 148.78.40.51
Physical Address: 00:08:A1:1E:9A:0D
148.78.249.200
148.78.249.201
The ipaddress and physical address are familiar. I believe the first is the network
card and the second is the computer.89145
ping 89.145.97.110 put me into a seemingly endless loop ( from 148.78.40.50 etc
with no response.
ping knoppix.net reported sight unavailable.
The fact that you are getting assigned an IP address indicates that your Cnet card is not the problem, it's working fine. You seem to have the same IP address as with windows, but very curiously a different gateway address. Not knowing anything about how your satellite ISP works I don't know if that is a problem or not. I doesn't look particularly awful though, but is certainly not what I expected.
The physical address is the MAC address of the Cnet card. All ethernet interface cards have a unique address. No problem there.
I'm not clear on what the 148.78.249.200 and 148.78.249.201 IP addresses are. Were there no labels on them?
Pinging the IP address should have caused responses back from this website (assuming that your ISP isn't blocking pings. Considering how long it takes to ping through a satellite in geosync orbit, they just might, rather than look pretty bad, so I'm not sure if this part of the test tells us much. I had expected the ping to work though. Yea, in Linux a ping will loop until you stop it. Since you had used Linux before (DreamLinux), I didn't think I needed to mention this.
Pinging the URL address and not getting the same result as the IP type ping indicates that the domain name lookup (DNS) didn't occur properly and find the IP of the URL. In this case that's knoppix.net and should have returned the same IP address as you previously pinged. Why DNS lookup is failing I can't say, it might or might not be related to that difference in gateway addresses. Normally DHCP will configure you with one or more valid DNS servers, or use the gateway as a DNS server. This looks like a potential source of the problem, but without a better understanding of your satellite system I'm not sure what I going wrong. I am sure that your CnetPRO200WL PCI fast ethernet adapter is not the cause of the problem and it is being supported properly in Knoppix.
At this point I'm hoping that someone who knows the Starband system will join the conversation.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Similar Threads
-
By aryajur in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-02-2006, 09:07 AM
-
By gstyle in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-05-2005, 10:05 PM
-
By johnsmith01 in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-28-2005, 02:37 AM
-
By lionSOB in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 04-18-2004, 06:55 PM
-
By Frits Plotseling in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-25-2003, 06:33 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.19

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID
$24.43

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00