Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix from USB drive help

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    10

    Knoppix from USB drive help

    Hi there and happy holidays

    I'm really new to Linux and I was able, with the precious help of Harry Kuhman on this forum, to figure out why knoppix wouldn't boot on my laptop. So far, by using the tohd/fromhd option I made it boot much faster from a usb pen which can't be used to store the configuration; also, the cd must still be in the drive for the prompt to show up, I suppose I should start by creating 2 or more partitions in it (how big?) and so on...

    Could you point me to a tutorial which can help me have knoppix with just my 2gb usb pen drive to lug around?

    P.S. I know it's all in the forum, looking for a shortcut

    thanks all
    Marcello

  2. #2
    Just google or click the url below and u will be more than happy......

    http://www.google.at/search?q=knoppix+usb+bootable

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    10

    It's just fantastic

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkusWinkler
    Just google or click the url below and u will be more than happy......

    http://www.google.at/search?q=knoppix+usb+bootable
    Hi Markus,

    in fact, since my post I did some research and found one of those places you suggest and I was able to make Knoppix 5.1.1 boot from a usb pendrive; after that, by using GPart I created a second partition which I now use to save myconf. This is simply exceptional considering all the apps I have quick access to and the fact that even the wireless connection works - everyhing except the pcmcia slot...

    Would you mind pointing me to a good source to understand usefulness of the "make persistent knoppix image" option versus just the saving configuration option?

    Thanks and have a great 2008
    Marcello

Similar Threads

  1. Copy file from hard drive to usb flash drive
    By PaulKraemer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 04:49 PM
  2. problem copying linux drive to usb thumb drive
    By kennmurrah in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-01-2006, 10:09 AM
  3. Hard drive / data recovery / force show drive
    By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
  4. Permanent home onto Sandisk USB flash drive ruined drive
    By mjman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 09:46 PM
  5. Hard Drive Salvage from corrupted Windows XP NTFS drive
    By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM SERVER SLED WITH HDD SCSI 8.8GB ,P005043441, AS IS,UNTESTED picture

IBM SERVER SLED WITH HDD SCSI 8.8GB ,P005043441, AS IS,UNTESTED

$165.00



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive

$200.00



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM 02AN553  01LL325 IBM I/OADAPTER PCIe / PCN  Internal Server Systems Adapter picture

IBM 02AN553 01LL325 IBM I/OADAPTER PCIe / PCN Internal Server Systems Adapter

$199.99