Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix from USB drive help

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    10

    Knoppix from USB drive help

    Hi there and happy holidays

    I'm really new to Linux and I was able, with the precious help of Harry Kuhman on this forum, to figure out why knoppix wouldn't boot on my laptop. So far, by using the tohd/fromhd option I made it boot much faster from a usb pen which can't be used to store the configuration; also, the cd must still be in the drive for the prompt to show up, I suppose I should start by creating 2 or more partitions in it (how big?) and so on...

    Could you point me to a tutorial which can help me have knoppix with just my 2gb usb pen drive to lug around?

    P.S. I know it's all in the forum, looking for a shortcut

    thanks all
    Marcello

  2. #2
    Just google or click the url below and u will be more than happy......

    http://www.google.at/search?q=knoppix+usb+bootable

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    10

    It's just fantastic

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkusWinkler
    Just google or click the url below and u will be more than happy......

    http://www.google.at/search?q=knoppix+usb+bootable
    Hi Markus,

    in fact, since my post I did some research and found one of those places you suggest and I was able to make Knoppix 5.1.1 boot from a usb pendrive; after that, by using GPart I created a second partition which I now use to save myconf. This is simply exceptional considering all the apps I have quick access to and the fact that even the wireless connection works - everyhing except the pcmcia slot...

    Would you mind pointing me to a good source to understand usefulness of the "make persistent knoppix image" option versus just the saving configuration option?

    Thanks and have a great 2008
    Marcello

Similar Threads

  1. Copy file from hard drive to usb flash drive
    By PaulKraemer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 04:49 PM
  2. problem copying linux drive to usb thumb drive
    By kennmurrah in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-01-2006, 10:09 AM
  3. Hard drive / data recovery / force show drive
    By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
  4. Permanent home onto Sandisk USB flash drive ruined drive
    By mjman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 09:46 PM
  5. Hard Drive Salvage from corrupted Windows XP NTFS drive
    By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$345.00



Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$295.00



MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800 picture

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800

$189.95



​SSM IO-4 S100 I/O Interface Board 2-Serial 2-Parallel Altair IMSAI Untested picture

​SSM IO-4 S100 I/O Interface Board 2-Serial 2-Parallel Altair IMSAI Untested

$119.99



Computer Retrospective DDP-116 SEAC UNIVAC DEC PDP-8 Altair 8800 Cray-1 CDC 6600 picture

Computer Retrospective DDP-116 SEAC UNIVAC DEC PDP-8 Altair 8800 Cray-1 CDC 6600

$65.00



MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board picture

MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board

$675.00



Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI picture

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI

$150.00



S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00