-
Questionable HD on Laptop
Hello
I've searched a few keywords and did not find direct answers, hence posting here for support.
The HD on my Laptop froze one evening, and would not respond to any input. Cyling power was the only option, and henceforth, would not boot. It was suggested (by another) that the HD had permanently failed, and data recovery would be impossible.
After flipping off the ignorant, I purchased a new laptop HD so I could at least use the laptop again, and research methods of recovery. Along came Knoppix! I was able to recover all my data files from the supposed "permanently failed" HD and life is now good.
Now, I have a new HD that is chugging along, and the "original" HD, which I'm not convinced is "permanently failed". The drive itself is only 13 months old, and has not be subjected to frequent shocks/vibrations/temp variations; it's led an easy HD life in a laptop. I'm thinking if i were able to recover data from the supposed "dead" drive, then perhaps it's really not dead, but some critical files got corrupted, and hence will not boot. It "seems" to access, spin, read/write, and do all the "normal" activities of a HD.
At this point, I would like to reformat it as if it were a new drive coming from a factory, such that it could be used as an external backup HD via USB. So, it would need to be able to blow away the existing partitions, and reformat it to NTFS.
Can this be done via Knoppix? It seems to be the only envirnoment which can read/write/access the flaky HD?
Your help on this matter would be appreciated.
Similar Threads
-
By tizwaz in forum Laptops
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-08-2007, 09:26 AM
-
By m005k in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-26-2007, 01:11 AM
-
By twistyblue in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-01-2006, 03:06 PM
-
By objectconstant in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-11-2005, 01:13 AM
-
By WolfCub in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-14-2005, 09:51 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981
$295.00

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand
$275.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A
$155.00

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED
$80.00

Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus
$64.95

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00

Vintage Apple Power Mac G4 Cube Poster (2000) 36 x 24 - Think Different
$29.99

Vintage Apple Assembly Line Newsletter Vol: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 From 1984
$179.99

Apple cloth fabric banner iBook bondi blue orange NOS Vintage
$99.00